Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat wants to stall when blades engaged

Hey guys I'm new here and could use some of help. I just purchased my 4th lawn mower brand new, which is a 26 hp Bobcat Predator Pro liquid cooled.

My problem is that when I engage the blades the mower bogs so bad that it pretty much stalls out. When I engage the blades the belts seem to hop around a bit before the blades get going but, when they start spinning all seems fine. I brought it back to the dealer where I bought it and they seemed clueless. They were saying that it has to be break in blah blah blah.. The mower has 20 hours on it now and its still doing it. This is the first mower I have ever had this problem with and this is my second Bobcat.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Have you tried to take the belts off and spin everything by hand to see if something is binding up? Maybe take the belt off the deck and leave the belt hoked to the PTO to see if it bogs own. You could also have a bad PTO and when it turns on it draws too many amps until the motor catches up.

Leiby Lawn Care
1997 GMC 1500
1983 Chevy 4X4
Western 8 foot Plow
2009 Bobcat Procat 52
1999 Toro 36 WB
2007 Dixon Speedster 30
2010 Gravely 21 P.O.S
2 21" Lawnboy 2 Cycle
McClane edger
24" MTD snow blower
Stihl FS90 and FS46
2 Stihl Blower Vacs
Stihl hedge trimmer
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you letting the machine warm up? What RPM are you engaging the blades at? Never messed with the 26LC model but have seen plenty of 23 and 25 air cooled ones. Unless they are well warmed up, they will not pull the 61" deck if you try starting at very low RPM.

What sizes are your other machines and what engines are on them?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since I'm in Cleveland, and you're in PA, we have the same enviroments. Let the machine warm up. Also, check the spring on the carb, the one that is supposed to allow more fuel to the motor, should it bog down. I don't know the technical term for it, but its on all motors. Make sure it hasn't been disconnected.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had the exact same issue with a new mower i purchased. It turned out to be a VERY dirty air filter. When your mower comes under load, it sucks in a TON more air. Clogged filter was not letting the mower get enough air. We mowed a lot in a very dusty location. Check it, it may be the problem.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl79 View Post
Have you tried to take the belts off and spin everything by hand to see if something is binding up? Maybe take the belt off the deck and leave the belt hoked to the PTO to see if it bogs own. You could also have a bad PTO and when it turns on it draws too many amps until the motor catches up.
I havent messed with it much my self. I will try this, it sounds like this could be the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Are you letting the machine warm up? What RPM are you engaging the blades at? Never messed with the 26LC model but have seen plenty of 23 and 25 air cooled ones. Unless they are well warmed up, they will not pull the 61" deck if you try starting at very low RPM.

What sizes are your other machines and what engines are on them?
All my machines are 60-61" and 25 - 30 hp besides my walk behind and yes I let it warm. I can mow 5 acres, shut the blades off and it will still do it when i engage them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncls View Post
Since I'm in Cleveland, and you're in PA, we have the same enviroments. Let the machine warm up. Also, check the spring on the carb, the one that is supposed to allow more fuel to the motor, should it bog down. I don't know the technical term for it, but its on all motors. Make sure it hasn't been disconnected.
When the blades are spinning and I put a load on the motor I can hear it rev up to handle the load so I doubt this is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertx View Post
I've had the exact same issue with a new mower i purchased. It turned out to be a VERY dirty air filter. When your mower comes under load, it sucks in a TON more air. Clogged filter was not letting the mower get enough air. We mowed a lot in a very dusty location. Check it, it may be the problem.
I'll check the filter but I'm not sure that this would be the problem. The mower runs and drives excellent. After reading the first post it seems like the PTO is screwed up.

Thanks for all the quick helpful advise guys. I will take everything into consideration when I go over this mower tomorrow. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the PTO as stated in the first post. If the mower lacked power other than PTO engagement I would think differently, but this mower could pretty much tow my truck and it climbs straight up any hill I put infront of it. I'll keep you guys informed.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Sponsor

Try engaging with the choke 1/2 on. Could be running to lean. If it works maybe a problem with the Carb.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I'm so late on getting back to you guys but I've been extemely busy. The problem was that it had the wrong belt on the machine.

2010 GMC 3500 HD Dump w/L-Pack
2008 GMC 2500 HD
2007 GMC 3500 HD Duarmax Dump
2006 GMC 3500 HD Dump
2004 GMC 4500 Duramax Dump
2003 GMC 2500 HD
2002 GMC 6500 Dump
2000 GMC 1500
1997 GMC 6500 Dump
2004 Chevy 2500 HD

Exmark Zero Turn 27 hp 61"
Exmark Zero Turn 30 hp 61"
Bobcat Zero Turn 26 hp 61" Liquid Cooled
Bobcat Zero Turn 25 hp 61"
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Long,

Do you know which belt was wrong?

Remington4
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I would request a new mower from the dealer..