Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help with commercial maintenance proposal.

Looking to enter into commercial maintenance in E. Pa.

Can anyone supply guidelines for pricing, mostly clean -ups and for snow removal and salting.

Need help with format, mostly. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

commercial bids

Thanks for your input. My inquiry is not any different from everyone else who is asking for assistance. I was hoping that someone from a non-competing area could provide me some guidance and share their experience.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They won't. For the simple reason, it took them years of experence to learn what they have learned. No one feels comfortable typing out everything they have learned in years in 10 min. Some things your just going to have to learn for yourself.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Not true.

What you are saying is rediculous. There are many people who have gained knowledge and wisdom over the years, and are willing to share it with others.

Have you not heard of a MENTOR?

Please do NOT respond to my posts anymore. You are not helpful in the least.

Anyone who is willing to share, please send me an email. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Bill. That is an extremely biased 'opinion', and that's all it is. Many educated, hard working folks are willing to share their wisdom to a degree. Bill, I hope that you find that mentor that is willing to help you get your footing. I would be willing to share if I had a greater deal of experience to go on. Best of luck to you and anyone else looking to do better for themselves
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

In my experience, which is pretty limited honestly, the best/fastest way to learn is to get out there and start talking to people. Not your competition, the people who use your service. Go knock on some doors and see what you can find. You would be surprised how helpful some will be. Just be mindful of how you ask and look for information. In other words, don't just call'em up and say "I don't know what I am doing please help me." Just see if they are accepting bids, get in front of whoever makes the decisions and discuss what their current provider does etc.. you'll be surprised the info you can obtain doing this. It ends up being almost like a residential with the "the last guy did it for this much."
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Good Luck.

Can't help with snow removal don't have much call for that here in FL.

What I have experienced with my commercial bids here is $20/hr seems to be the going accepted rate. Then again a competitor bid $10/hr to do a city contract $68k when the next cheapest was $180k Tru-green bid.

Whatever you do charge enough to repair/replace your equipment. I learned the hard way.. Did a bid for $24k a year when it should have been a $50k a year bid.. thought 24k was better than nothing but it tore up my equipment and at the end of the year I made $100 of the contract. Yep. 100... spent almost 1600 hrs on the contract over 1 year.. so I earned a HUGE $0.64 an hour not including drive time...

This last year was my first year bidding and this year I bid MUCH higher.. I may not get as much business but at least what I do get will pay for my equipment!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

... how did some of my posts get deleted??????

$20 per hour!!!??? Those are my expenses!! Clearly you can not be paying insurance with those numbers, and don't know your costs.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I am paying insurance.. I knew my costs but when the customer demanded the grass be cut even when it was under 4-6 inches of water... try mowing that in a ztr... Had to bring out a 4wd tractor with a pto finish mower. Basically then the contract stated once a week mowing in winter months.. customer demanded every week. That drove up expenses considerably....
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yeah Bill, your just asking too much lol.

If you have a specific questions like, how much can you get per acre of commercial turf mowed outside of philly area? eh maybe most would say $30-45+.... Depending on your area, guys cut an acre for $10-100... so that wont help you anyway.

No ones going to get into snow prices because again too many variables.

We've done commercial snow for 4 years and are fairly big into it for our company size and i still get hit with snowballs each year that i dont expect.

I can recommend to start with 1 commercial client and focus from there, once you get your feet wet, you can gain a couple more, or a larger one. Far too many companies are out there bidding 500k sq ft parking lots with one pickup truck and a shovel.

And after doing commercial bids for landscape maintenance for about 4 years now too, i still dont understand the entire contract, have a hard time pricing things so we will be profitable and understanding how many man hours it will all take, just dont jump in too fast or you'll be quickly stuck with a 20 man hour maintenance job for $5.85 per man hour of work and go out of business.