Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2002, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Securing trailers outside

How do you secure your trailers so no one steals them when stored in your driveway/yard overnight?

Thanks,

Joel B.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

aside from the usual security, I block the trailer with my truck.

but the trailer is usually unloaded at the end of the day anyway.

GEO
Old 07-07-2002, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I think I read a previous post about a guy that dug deep holes and put chains or something in the hole and fill the holes with concrete. Then after that he secures the trailer to the ground with chains or cables. I don't remember all the detail but try do a search on it. Try "securing trailer".
Old 07-07-2002, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Addict

i just back mine in the driveway right in front of the garage.that way they cant get the ramp down. put my hitch lock on and block the trailer with my truck. or just leave it hooked up.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive seen a nice lock that goes right under where the ball goes and locks the linkage on top but havent been able to find it. I park the trailer either in the driveway or on the side of road with a master lock thru the linkage and i thot i was all set till i figured you can still take it by the chains so now i lock them up as well. My trailer is 6.5*12 and simple with wood ramps on the sides and no one has touched it so far (2yrs) and no one took the nice ramps on it. My neighbor who parks his trailer and trucks not at his house had someone over the winter break into his enclosed with a torch and take stihl trimmers bp blowers, billygoat blower sweepers hedge trimmers and toro 21 commercials a 52hydro 44 hyrdo and a 36 belt. This season i guess he is doing something right since he replaced everything added a 16ft enclosed trailer a toro zt350 new 36hydro 21s and two f450 with grain dump bodys.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I know a guy that had his whole set-up, except his truck, stole last week. It was locked to his truck and the it was in a chain linked fence. They cut a hole in the fence and took his trimmers and blower out of the back of the truck. Then cut his lock off the trailer and stole his trailer, zt, and walkbehind. The cop told him that there has been a few stolen in the area.
Later this week I plan on buying another lock for my trailer.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking about this very thing a few days ago and I thought I had my trailer locked up good. Then I got to thinking, I have a reciver lock on the hitch reciver and a lock on the tounge lacth on the trailer. All someone would have to do is come by and take the bottom nut off the ball and they would be in business with my busniess. I am going to have my ball welded to my reciver.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JSMLAWNCARE
Later this week I plan on buying another lock for my trailer.
Why "Later this week?" and why not Monday morning? <G>

Whemever I've had something like that, where I figure I'll get to it later in the week, etc, it's always come back to bite me in the butt.

Pep Boys sells the ball-mount type that goes where the ball does and locks onto the top of the trailer. I honestly don't know HOW you'd get it off of the trailer if you ever lost the key, other then maybe with a blow torch or a sledge hammer.. Or cutting off the entire front nose of the A-Frame of the trailer and welding/mounting a new one. <G>

I liked the idea of filling holes with chain and concrete, but I figure someone can just cut the chain just as easy.

Gary
Old 07-07-2002, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by We do 4 U
All someone would have to do is come by and take the bottom nut off the ball and they would be in business with my busniess. I am going to have my ball welded to my reciver.
Man, I never thought of that.. Go somewhere with a truck and a hitch already all set up, take the nut off the ball, transfer the ball to your hitch, re-screw on the nut and drive away.. Sheesh...

So how do we protect against that one?

I do know that the nut takes a 1.5 " wrench, which I have NOT been able to find for sale ANYWHERE, be it Sears, Pep Boys, etc.. I use a plumbers wrench and a special set of mechanic pliers to tighten the nut.... How about you guys..
Old 07-07-2002, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I just Park the Trailer in the Back Yard at Night and Let the German Shepherd do all the work he's cheap Security.