Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
30 grand buys a ton of advertising that could grow ANY company into a multicrew, big commercial account servicing outfit. 30 grand could buy a turn key operation with equipment and accounts. I researched dozens of franchises and they all seem to universally favor the franchise over the franchisee. It seems you end up being your own employee and watching what little profit comes in go to corporate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reminds me of another guy and his association that exploded onto the forum and disappeared just as fast. As I recall he was going to "ROCK THE INDUSTRY", come to think of it he had been associated with US LAWNS at one time.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=U.S. Lawns Home Office;3867830]The misconceptions in recent posts are too numerous to count. I encourage you to re-read the entire thread. One example; you are not required to run eXmark mowers. They happen to be one of our partners on the equipment side of the business (and they are a great organization).[QUOTE]

Last edited by Jail Bird; 02-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Jail Bird;3892798][QUOTE=U.S. Lawns Home Office;3867830]The misconceptions in recent posts are too numerous to count. I encourage you to re-read the entire thread. One example; you are not required to run eXmark mowers. They happen to be one of our partners on the equipment side of the business (and they are a great organization).So this is the only "misconception" you can elaborate on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Lets try it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Lawns Home Office View Post
The misconceptions in recent posts are too numerous to count. I encourage you to re-read the entire thread. One example; you are not required to run eXmark mowers. They happen to be one of our partners on the equipment side of the business (and they are a great organization).
Back in the 80's this guy I knew bought an Ice Cream franchise. I would go in there and hang out and was helping him get up and running. It was "turn key" they set you up and marketed it. When he bought it aside from some basic parameters he was told it's yours, pay us the royalties and run with it. About six months in two guys show up from the "Home Office" and they tell him he needs this milk machine. They go into this rap about how the home office partner with the manufacture of it and all that. He's like na, I got a really good one already. The one guy was like "Listen you NEED this machine, it will be here Friday" and they left. The machine with an invoice for like twice the value of said machine show up Friday with a guy to "install" it. THAT is a true story.

My point is not to say that these guys would "force" someone to buy an eXmark but rather it is an EXTREME example of how much pressure the "home office" can bring to bare on the franchisee. I am willing to bet that "if" you deviate from the model and don't hit the numbers these things all come into play when you receive "guidance" in the form of support.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, for a minute I thought you were pro franchise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

start off small...work your way up...you want the commercial work? build a name for yourself in the high end residential market.....then go after the commercial work....you absolutely DO NOT need to pay fees to anyone to build a MM $ company. if you put the time and effort in you will make the contacts needed in the commercial market....it sometime takes months if not years to finally persuade a comm. client to give you a contract...be persistant and communicative on a regular basis....it will happen....no need to buy into a franchise unless your affraid to go it alone....just my 2 cents
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Just my 2 Cents.

I have never even seen a U.S. Lawns truck or crew. Never seen any advertising in print, on the radio, or on TV.

I can say after tripling our business in each of our first three years in business, started from the ground up, there are a whole lot better ways to spend 29K and 4% of sales. Honestly? Unless the company is willing to hand you the contracts, I'm still not very sure what it is people are paying for.

In addition, commercial landscape management is the last place I want to be anyways. Residential is far and away more profitable. I have some commercial stuff, but it's less worth the headaches than residential.

'00 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/snow dogg
'97 Jeep Wrangler w/blizzard
5X8 Carry On
48" Bob-Cat walkbehind
36" Scag walkbehind w/velkie
52" Scag Turf Tiger
Echo Trimmer
Cub Cadet Trimmer
2 Shindaiwa T270's
Echo Blower
Ryobi Blower
Mcclane walk behind edger
Bowens walk behind edger
World Vac Leaf Vac
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

The un informed think buying a franchise is a license to print money, same as buying a bobcat. Not the case. I live just outside of Tampa. Less than a 100 miles from their base of operations. I have been in the construction and service industry for 10 years. Reading the posts I was suprised US lawns was a Florida based company. I have no clue who they are. Never seen them on any maintenance bid list or anything state wide?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2011, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC_INC. View Post
The un informed think buying a franchise is a license to print money, same as buying a bobcat. Not the case. I live just outside of Tampa. Less than a 100 miles from their base of operations. I have been in the construction and service industry for 10 years. Reading the posts I was suprised US lawns was a Florida based company. I have no clue who they are. Never seen them on any maintenance bid list or anything state wide?
Posted via Mobile Device
Im with you i lived in brandon and never heard of them, i know one thing they don't do Tampa Stadium.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Saw one for the first time in long time Friday. 3 imports spreading red mulch at a few Regions bank branches. 10 year old F150 towing a rusted out mesh trailer full of mulch. No mowers or even trimmer racks. Still seems like an odd way to run a business.