Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Is my mower stolen?

Hello all. I recently bought an Exmark Lazer Z HP to use at home. I decided to try getting some mowing accounts since it looks like I will not be employed this year in construction.

I saw on the Exmark site they are offering free ROPS installed on older mowers that didn't come with it initially, but the serial number is required, and the unit has to be registered to me when the ROPS is installed.

That is what got me thinking about the possibility of my mower being stolen at some point in it's life.

Is there anywhere I can search to see if my mower has ever been reported stolen?

Thanks, Bob
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes your mower is stolen, PM me and I will give you the address to send it to!

But, you could call the police and they should be able to do a search on the S.N.

Which is kinda what a pawn shop does to verify stuff.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

why do you need the rops? you will take it off the first time a branch knocks you out

SOLO OPERATION
Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah really Midwest isn't everything flat.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Yeah really Midwest isn't everything flat.
that what i thought
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what make you think that you mower has been stolen. did u steal it???????
Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

If I had stolen the mower, I wouldn't be concerned with searching to see if the mower was stolen

Not all of the midwest is flat. Nebraska is, Iowa is not. starts at Council Bluffs and gets more hilly as you go east. (very apparent from the air)

As far as needing the ROPS. I'm a noob to the ztr thing, but have pushed the limits on just about everything else I've run. Never actually tipped a piece of equipment but got kinda close one time with a rough terrain forklift. Free ROPS and avoid the spinning blades of doom seemed like a good equation!

I talked with the guy I bought it from tonight. He said when he bought it, that the deal seemed very straight. He even got a bill of sale from the seller. I was worried because the guy I bought it from has a questionable past and some questionable friends.

I really just didn't want to lose the mower after just putting hundreds of dollars and many hours in it to make it a good machine again.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot808w View Post
If I had stolen the mower, I wouldn't be concerned with searching to see if the mower was stolen

Not all of the midwest is flat. Nebraska is, Iowa is not. starts at Council Bluffs and gets more hilly as you go east. (very apparent from the air)

As far as needing the ROPS. I'm a noob to the ztr thing, but have pushed the limits on just about everything else I've run. Never actually tipped a piece of equipment but got kinda close one time with a rough terrain forklift. Free ROPS and avoid the spinning blades of doom seemed like a good equation!

I talked with the guy I bought it from tonight. He said when he bought it, that the deal seemed very straight. He even got a bill of sale from the seller. I was worried because the guy I bought it from has a questionable past and some questionable friends.

I really just didn't want to lose the mower after just putting hundreds of dollars and many hours in it to make it a good machine again.

Thanks for your replies!
Its stolen if the serial number is gone I guarantee it. Just ask the dealer if someone doesn't want there rops you'll give them some cash for it or just buy a different mower for hills. By the way I think you don't want to wear a seat belt if you have no ROPS.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

The serial number is intact, and not modified as far as I can tell. Probably just being paranoid about it. The deal was pretty good ($1200) and I didn't give it a second thought until the words "serial number" came up.

I would love to get a second mower for hills. But I need to get a positive return on this one before I spend any more.

What made me want the ROPS was the story the guy I bought it from told me about having the mower on top of him one time. He was unloading off of a trailer, but it would have saved him some scuffs and bruises.

Thanks for the heads up on the seat belt. Mine actually doesn't have that either. I assumed that was part of the upgrade through Exmark.

Bob
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot808w View Post
The serial number is intact, and not modified as far as I can tell. Probably just being paranoid about it. The deal was pretty good ($1200) and I didn't give it a second thought until the words "serial number" came up.

I would love to get a second mower for hills. But I need to get a positive return on this one before I spend any more.

What made me want the ROPS was the story the guy I bought it from told me about having the mower on top of him one time. He was unloading off of a trailer, but it would have saved him some scuffs and bruises.

Thanks for the heads up on the seat belt. Mine actually doesn't have that either. I assumed that was part of the upgrade through Exmark.

Bob

How the heck do you end up with a z on top of you while unloading a trailer