Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Inspiration or Insane imaginings

All of us, at one time or another, have had the proverbial 'Light bulb' idea. Sometimes they are good; most times they are just 'Brain F*rts'. Some have been known to change human history; many are just a sign that we need to change our underwear.
I have an idea and would like some feedback as to whether it is promising and workable as a method of Pond installation. It may have already been utilized, but I have found no instance.

The basic idea is to construct a Pond in the usual manner except it would have a False Bottom that is porous. It would be basically a Pondless construction utilizing BioBlox only the reservoir would be dug much deeper and wider with the Bioblox being covered with 3" coarse gravel, preferably Egg Rock. A Bottom Drain(s) would be installed in the liner under the Bioblox, in effect making the entire Pond bottom a filter.

Does this sound worth investigating further or do I need to just go do laundry?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump! Bump!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda reminds me of a sand filter for water systems that municipalities use.

It sounds like a good idea, but would the "bottom" eventually get clogged with residues or are you thinking that it would be a big bio-cleaning system that maintained itself?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a ROUGH drawing of the concept. PVC grating might work as a substitute for the BioBlox, but may be more expensive.
As in any bottom drain installation, the pond bottom needs to be sloped or funnel shaped so detritus will migrate to the drain. This will necessitate a support framework for the BioBlox to ensure a stable horizontal level on which to place the gravel. This framework would most probably need to be fabricated on-site.
The concept would need to be tested and tweaked, of course, but I feel that, because of it's basic simplicity, it could be a real asset.
I would really welcome any and all constructive criticism.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Pretty much like an inground pool with bio-blocks to keep fish and other large junk out, looks like it would work to me.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

The benefit of this system is not very clear to me, unless the idea is to make a microorganism/mechanical filter that is invisible from the surface. You would probably filter more detritus with this system, compared to a bottom drain percolating filter, but how much more who really knows. It seems to me that the difficulties in installation and maintenance compared to a typical percolating filter makes this seem impractical. All similar filters need to have the filter bed scraped occasionally to knock off the non-biodegradable crud, and it seems like it would be a royal pain to clean this one.

Keep the ideas coming though. I really enjoy reading all of your posts, Tadpole. Its nice to see other enthusiasts out there.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me see if I can more fully clarify what it is that I am advocating.

For years there has been the back and forth discussions (sometimes heated) as to which is better--The Eco-system Pond with rock sides and gravel bottom or the bare liner Pond with a bottom drain. I do not intend to open that discussion here, except to say that both have advantages and disadvantages.

My intent with this idea is to hybridize or meld, if you will, the best 0f both.

This system is basically a gravel bed (false bottom) suspended over a bare liner bottom with a BD.

The gravel bed would serve as supplemental bioconversion and filtration to normally installed external filtration while the Bottom Drain would carry off the resulting mulm that would filter through. You would have, I believe, simulated a Benthic layer, much as an Eco-system pond, without allowing any build-up in detritus or mulm to an anaerobic state. You would have a pseudo-natural aquatic eco-system with the ability to keep it flushed.

Below is the same system using industrial grade PVC grating instead of Bioblox.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to ponds, but can you sell me on the reasoning for such a design? I'm a bit confused about why you would desire this method. I do believe it would work. I just don't understand.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bottom line is that it should greatly expand the filtering capacity of any Pond. This is really no more than a variation on the old under-gravel filter that was and is still somewhat used in aquariums. It has always been acknowledged to be the best possible filtering system, but has also always had one major drawback.....it would always clog up. The fact that it is on the bottom of the aquarium makes it a real PITA to keep clean. This is why external filters were developed. The filtering efficiency (Bio-conversion) of these units is still not up to the level of the under-gravel filter. Gravel bottomed ponds provide greater bio-conversion than a bare liner bottom but eventually needs to be cleaned. A bare liner Pond with a BD(s) constantly removes any organic and non-organic debris that settles but offers little in additional bio-conversion. I am trying to combine the best of both.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This may give you some ideas. It seems like a good idea to provide a way to remove possible muck like they did. 9 mins and 10 mins in they start talking about something like you have in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xMpu...eature=related