Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive kicked a similiar idea around however instead of a matrix box I Iwas gona use a heavy duty grate system that we use for our pondless waterfalls. They are only roughly 3" thick and hold more weight than the boxes. Also it cuts down on the additional excavating needed to build this design. The one major difference tad in my set-up is that I am incorporating a bottom drain/air diffuser combo. This combo will help keep the bottom from "clogging" and provided additional aeration. I love this idea because of the dual purposes it creates and also helps sell your ponds even more.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
This may give you some ideas. It seems like a good idea to provide a way to remove possible muck like they did. 9 mins and 10 mins in they start talking about something like you have in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xMpu...eature=related
Wow! That is an old video. That was made pre-bioblox. I am surprised that Aquascape still has it posted on YouTube. What they show in that video has no relation to what I am investigating. I will say that I recommend a wetlands filter on any pond greater than 200 sq/ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Ive kicked a similiar idea around however instead of a matrix box I Iwas gona use a heavy duty grate system that we use for our pondless waterfalls. They are only roughly 3" thick and hold more weight than the boxes. Also it cuts down on the additional excavating needed to build this design. The one major difference tad in my set-up is that I am incorporating a bottom drain/air diffuser combo. This combo will help keep the bottom from "clogging" and provided additional aeration. I love this idea because of the dual purposes it creates and also helps sell your ponds even more.
What are the dimensions of these grates that you use in your Pondless applications.
I had not considered the use of an air diffuser beneath the gravel. It is worth considering maybe in extreme cases. I have never had an Oxygen problem in any of my installs. They always run 80%-85% saturation (anything over 70% is good).
Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive never had any problems with oxygen levels in ponds either. The reasoning for me to use the combo is for the winter months. We dont get fun in the sun all year here.. lol. Another reason is for a couple of dollars more you can get the combo. The aerator is part of the botom drain. Up here we shut down ponds and add heaters, aerators, etc. to keep a hole in the ice open, so with that said its nice to have that combo of the drain w aeration possibities. This is also great for large koi ponds with large koi.

The panels i get range in sizes up to 3' x 8' I also use 5' circle diameters with centers cut out. These panel are very strong. I placed a 2000# bubbling rock on 5' circle and it never budged, bent or cracked. On the matrix box I have cracked them place bubbling rocks on the them because they dont support that much weight. I personally am not a big fan of them in certain appilications.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Wow! That is an old video. That was made pre-bioblox. I am surprised that Aquascape still has it posted on YouTube. What they show in that video has no relation to what I am investigating. I will say that I recommend a wetlands filter on any pond greater than 200 sq/ft.
I never said use it for a wetland filter like they say to use it. But why go through the extra work and cost of building a structure to hold up your gravel layer? Why not utilize an off the shelf tool to help you achieve your goal? KISS?

I will admit I am new to ponds, but not to biological processes. Perhaps the hybrid concept I am talking about has some setbacks I do not see? Note this pic is also not to scale
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ive never had any problems with oxygen levels in ponds either. The reasoning for me to use the combo is for the winter months. We dont get fun in the sun all year here.. lol. Another reason is for a couple of dollars more you can get the combo. The aerator is part of the botom drain. Up here we shut down ponds and add heaters, aerators, etc. to keep a hole in the ice open, so with that said its nice to have that combo of the drain w aeration possibities. This is also great for large koi ponds with large koi.

The panels i get range in sizes up to 3' x 8' I also use 5' circle diameters with centers cut out. These panel are very strong. I placed a 2000# bubbling rock on 5' circle and it never budged, bent or cracked. On the matrix box I have cracked them place bubbling rocks on the them because they dont support that much weight. I personally am not a big fan of them in certain appilications.
Who manufactures these panels? These sound like the panels used for elevated industrial walkways. They are tough!! Also, what is your cost per panel? Also again, what is the grid size? I figure I will need no bigger than a 3/4" grid.

I keep forgetting about you northern tier guys. We never shut down, in fact, I had to feed my Koi yesterday. They were trying to climb out of the Pond
Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
I never said use it for a wetland filter like they say to use it. But why go through the extra work and cost of building a structure to hold up your gravel layer? Why not utilize an off the shelf tool to help you achieve your goal? KISS?

I will admit I am new to ponds, but not to biological processes. Perhaps the hybrid concept I am talking about has some setbacks I do not see? Note this pic is also not to scale
What you have diagrammed would work great except fr the fact that the gravel, because of the thickness required to cover the centipede, will eventually clog. This is why the bioblox are used today instead of the diminishing rock sizes shown in the video that you posted. I have rebuilt several of my wetland filter installs, replacing the rock with the bioblox and maybe 2 - 3 inches of coarse gravel covering the bioblx. Just enough to provide anchoring for the wetland plants.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

You just had too rub it in didnt ya..

A 3'x8' oem panel is around $52 dollars. A 5' round is about $100. They are made up in Michigan by structural plastics. You generally will see these being used as greenhouse shelving or supermarkets etc. Like i said real strong stuff.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention the grid size is about 1in
Old 02-07-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Forgot to mention the grid size is about 1in
Quote:
You just had too rub it in didnt ya..

A 3'x8' oem panel is around $52 dollars. A 5' round is about $100. They are made up in Michigan by structural plastics. You generally will see these being used as greenhouse shelving or supermarkets etc. Like i said real strong stuff.
Pretty decent price. Even with the additional cost involved in fabricating a PVC
support structure, it should still come in at a lot less than the cost of bioblox. One (1) inch grid seems slightly large though. It would require pre-screening the Egg rock (Potato rock) to remove the smaller pieces.

Do you have a website URL for the distributor/manufacturer?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually use a 8 inch cinder block for support at a 1.50 you can't beat it. www.structuralplastics.com I believe is the site. It is their oem panels.
Posted via Mobile Device