Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2010, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Cost per acre to kill dandelions?

I mow seven acres every week here in southern Wisconsin. Dandelions are rediculous. I was wondering if I picked up a sprayer for my 650 John Deere how much I would have to spend in weed killer to get the job done. How often would it need to be done?

Any help appreciated.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably in the neighborhood of 5 gallons of mix. You can pick up 2,4-D LV4 at Tractor Supply for $60/2.5gallons. So roughly 125 for mix and another 300 for a sprayer and you are good to go. Once they are knocked out it will be very easy to maintain. I have a 25 gallon Fimco boomless that I picked up and fits in the 2" receiver on the rear of my mower. Hardwired the switch and I now have a trick spray rig that will spray a 30' pattern. Works like a champ!
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply. How often does it need to be maintained? I'm just wondering about the total cost per year less the sprayer.

Thanks,

Gene
Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably 2 apps initially should knock it out then you may never need to spray again if you keep it maintained. Cut high and if you can fertilize at least once/year you should be all set. Your annual cost will really depend on how much you want to spend on fert. If its only weeds you are concerned with it may need spot spraying after you knock out all the major stuff but that's abou tit. If you do get a spray rig you can apply liquid fert which is much cheaper and easier than granular for that much property. Here is my setup. Since I posted this I've cut down the excess metal on the platform to reduce weight and bulk. I can snap some updated pics if interested. Works great! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=spray+rig
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

So are you saying one would only have to spray once a year for dandelions? Don't know if I would fertilze or not. Great soil out here, thick grass, can even be tough to stay ahead of. Just tired of these dang weeds.

Love your setup! Awsome job. And you don't even do this comercially? I'm handy enough to do something like that as well. I mow my three plus acres and my dad's four. So once I get the sprayer I could keep those stupid yellow flowered weeds away for about 150 or so a year?

I really appreciate the info.

Gene
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Gene, yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Once you get them under control you will probably only need to spot spray. I have some property behind us that is "common area" that was covered with dandelions. It took two full sprays and knocked them all out. I now don't need to spray the entire thing. I may mix up a tank and use the wand to spot spray. After your initial treatment, you can buy a 2.5 gallon jug and it will probalby last you for a few years so your cost would only be in the $10-$20 range per year. Shouldn't cost much at all.

Thanks for the kudo's. Yeah, I'm a bit obsessed We own a company and I cut that property as well but that's it. Figured if your gonna do it, do it right.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Well I think I'm getting me a sprayer. Going to be looking for one that will attach to the 3 point hitch on my JD 650. Will be wonderful to get rid of these weeds that grow overnight. Thanks again for all your help.

Gene
Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Last year a got a gallon of Redeem from MFA. Its more of a ag herbicide but works great. I think the gallon was $80 and I only used half a gal on 2 acres. It did a good job on all the weeds in my yard and I only sprayed it once mid summer.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwost View Post
Probably 2 apps initially should knock it out then you may never need to spray again if you keep it maintained. Cut high and if you can fertilize at least once/year you should be all set. Your annual cost will really depend on how much you want to spend on fert. If its only weeds you are concerned with it may need spot spraying after you knock out all the major stuff but that's abou tit. If you do get a spray rig you can apply liquid fert which is much cheaper and easier than granular for that much property. Here is my setup. Since I posted this I've cut down the excess metal on the platform to reduce weight and bulk. I can snap some updated pics if interested. Works great! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=spray+rig
Hi again, well after searching around for three point sprayers that were reasonable in price and not too big, I gave up and bought a similar unit to yours. It's also made by Fimco but has the extending boom arms. I don't know the the pump is as big as yours. I'm in the process of making the bracketry to weld to my 997 JD. It will be a slip in removable unit as well. I'm frustrated about something though. Nowhere in the literature does it mention how high the nozzles should be off the ground! I see yours is a completely different style so I don't know that it would be the same height. Will probably call FIMCO tomorrow. Got to head south for a wedding this weekend so that will hold me up for sure. What area of the country are you located in and what chemicals do you use. Thanks again for your help.

Gene
Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Gene,

I almost bought that one but decided I wanted something more compact and went with the boomless model. Either one will work fine, just be careful going around trees My nozzles are about knee high (maybe a bit higher) off the ground and it's perfect. I'd keep it around that height as you don't want it much higher as the wind will cause all kinds of issues.

I live on Lake Erie outside of Cleveland Ohio. I typically use Three-Way from Lesco. I've also sprayed Drive for crabgrass with it as well as liquefied iron, again with great results. It really is a handy tool for sure. I typically buy all my stuff from Lesco. I've also used 2, 4-D LV4 from Tractor Supply. This is very reasonable ($60 for 2.5 gallons) and works well for broadleaf control if you don't have a Lesco nearby. Snap some pics of your setup once it's complete. My latest mod was hard wiring the switch to the mower. Now I don't have to snake the wire around the motor and risk melting it on the exhaust. Again, I'd recommend doing something similar if you aren't going to use it on another machine.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter

- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

- HD Field Trax tires