Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Defining Bluegrass Spreading Capabilities

I live in Kokomo, IN & just renovated my 1 ace lawn.
After 6 weeks of tilling, leveling, seeding, rolling & watering the KBG is coming up slowly.
Below is the type of KBG I planted.
9PSOD Premium Sod Blend (3 lb/1000 sq ft) ........................3.95+
25% NuDestiny Kentucky Bluegrass
15% Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass
25% Impact Kentucky Bluegrass
10% Bewitched Kentucky Bluegrass
25% Beyond Kentucky Bluegrass

The KBG blend has started to germinate and the new grass is not coming in a thick as I would like.
I seeded the lawn w/ 1.5# of above seed / 1,000 sq.
Here is my question:
1. What is the spread rate of the above seeds?
Example.
1 blade of KBG grass seed will fill in a 2 sq in area in 6 months.
Thanks!
Andy
Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have used a 50-50 mix not all KBG some rye would've been good. I use 8-10 lbs/1000 when seeding new lawns. IMO you may not have used enough seed.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquityGreen View Post
I would have used a 50-50 mix not all KBG some rye would've been good. I use 8-10 lbs/1000 when seeding new lawns. IMO you may not have used enough seed.
Agreed. 1.5 lbs per isn't enough.

They call for 2-4 for KBG but I always go heavier than that by half and use 6-8. Seeds cheap relatively speaking.

I have only ever done two 100% KBG lawns, and the rest had at least 30% Perennial Rye. The only difference between the KBG's out there and the Perennial Rye's out there is a different shaped tip....big deal, and of course the Rye's are not rhizonomous like KBG but they blend in beautifully.

I use Lescos Premium Athletic which is 70/30 KBG/Rye and Great Lakes which is 60/40.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedPro View Post
Agreed. 1.5 lbs per isn't enough.

They call for 2-4 for KBG but I always go heavier than that by half and use 6-8. Seeds cheap relatively speaking.

I have only ever done two 100% KBG lawns, and the rest had at least 30% Perennial Rye. The only difference between the KBG's out there and the Perennial Rye's out there is a different shaped tip....big deal, and of course the Rye's are not rhizonomous like KBG but they blend in beautifully.

I use Lescos Premium Athletic which is 70/30 KBG/Rye and Great Lakes which is 60/40.
I use a 38" Lawn Revitalizer, what do you have Seed Pro?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Renovator 20 by Lesco.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used two machines the other day, a 20 something bluebird and my revitalizer and we got $2200 done in 4 hours. Not bad eh?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not at all.

I charge 150-175 per thousand for renovating/machine seeding.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966vette View Post
I live in Kokomo, IN & just renovated my 1 ace lawn.
After 6 weeks of tilling, leveling, seeding, rolling & watering the KBG is coming up slowly.
Below is the type of KBG I planted.
9PSOD Premium Sod Blend (3 lb/1000 sq ft) ........................3.95+
25% NuDestiny Kentucky Bluegrass
15% Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass
25% Impact Kentucky Bluegrass
10% Bewitched Kentucky Bluegrass
25% Beyond Kentucky Bluegrass

The KBG blend has started to germinate and the new grass is not coming in a thick as I would like.
I seeded the lawn w/ 1.5# of above seed / 1,000 sq.
Here is my question:
1. What is the spread rate of the above seeds?
Example.
1 blade of KBG grass seed will fill in a 2 sq in area in 6 months.
Thanks!
Andy
I'm not an expert but can give you an answer easily based upon what you wrote.

Your blend calls for 3lbs/1000sq feet -- that is what you should have put down to establish the new seedbed originally. The fact that you didn't will not hurt you at all.

In a thread below you'll see my comments about my 100% supina bluegrass front, it came in nicely but I am seeding it a 2nd time.

You should seed again at 3lbs/1000sq feet right over what you've got. If you have areas with good growth already, lower the setting over those to 1.5lbs/1000. You don't want TOO MUCH, but that rarily happens unless the application rate is way too high.

Rye and fescues are much heavier seeds, so 6/7/8lbs/1000sq feet is normal for those. Bluegrass seeds are so small that 3lbs has the same (actually more) seeds than 6-7 lbs of rye or fescue.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cannot give an answer on how much and fast it spreads. All bluegrasses except the supina spread by way of rhizomes, the underground root spreading. I believe anything baseball size or smaller can fill in within a season...but when establishing a new lawn you don't want big bare patches as weeds can fill in.

Once it gets too hot -- by mid/late June where you are, it's too late to put down the KBG seed because the heat will roast it and it becomes impossible to get the roots established to survive the hot summer.

Get your 2nd app down in the next few weeks and you'll have another 4-6 weeks to finish establishing the 2nd set...the first set will have great rooting by then and should carry the new ones imo

i'm in your boat my man and completely understand the strange feeling of waiting for that unbelivably slow KBG to come up. But it will be worth it because the ryes and fescues are not necessary or really wanted, they just make establishment easier. You'll have a nicer lawn than your neighbors if you finish the job.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Establishing an acre of 100% KBG lawn - no easy task

I understand everyone has their own personal preference of seed mfg & seed blend or mix to use.

I want a 100% blue grass lawn.
Thus, I chose a high quality KBG blend and not a mixture which contained of rye.

I over seeded with 1.5# of KBG & used 2.5# - 3# of KBG on bear areas. The blend contains 5 different types of KBG seeds with slightly different germinating rates. Iím just starting to see germination now. Maybe, more coverage will apply when all 5 types of KBG seed has germinated. Getting an acre of KBG established w/ 3 hoses is not an easy accomplishment. Thus, Iím always praying for rain!

The weeds are starting to take hold in certain areas but I plan to apply weed & feed after the 4th mowing to rid the weeds.

The total bill for the high quality KBG seeds was ~$500 / acre plus another $75 for 100# of high quality starter fertilizer and $225 for 300í of high quality hoses and the best sprinklers.

I understand that I can apply more KBG seed now but I was planning on plugging and applying additional KBG seed to only the thin and bare areas in the fall. Thus, the original question of defining KBG spreading capabilities. If it spreads very well, I will only have to apply KBG seed in a few areas.

What a fight!
Andy