Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good man. That's sure one hell of a spade truck; I don't think I've ever seen one out my way.

Sure have a pretty sky out your way...too many buildings around here to fully appreciate it.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks good, bet that tree transplant was some $$$$$$.....oh and one thing...looks too me like the mulch around the plants is a little deep???
(2) steel rakes
(1) plastic rake
(1) electric ryobi trimmer
Old 11-11-2010, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
looks good, bet that tree transplant was some $$$$$$.....oh and one thing...looks too me like the mulch around the plants is a little deep???
Are you referring to the Cyprus mulch on the set of pics with the Hollies? Yes... there is a nice build-up of mulch in those beds. I actually rake some of the "Springtime" mulch out before the Fall touch-up. Funny tho- with all the Cyprus mulching, you can still scrape down to dirt in a couple inches...I have no idea where it goes, because it is put on twice a year. Plus, the shrubs are VERY full, structurally. They are solid with foliage down to the ground and they don't seem to mind the mulch at all. It's kind of an illusion.

You'd be surprised on the tree spade price (tree+install)...rather affordable IMO for the product the customer gets. But yes- no for the average client. they wanted bigger and were understood the costs.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted the same words over at Plowsite.... praying for a brutal winter for some major cash!

As it turns out, I'm going to be plowing for a friend of mine who does quite a bit of work (snow and commercial landscape)- he has a large city street contract (an incorporated "city" within Louisville) and a ton of large commercial properties. And everything in between. I'm really excited and think it's gonna be a great opportunity. And, I think we're doing it right!

He has been generous enough to really be flexible with the set-up for me. He's going to outfit my truck with the major element (box, plow) and I can pick up the extras (lighting, tires, parts, etc...) Next week, we'll sit down seriously and work out the exact agreement on paper.

We've found a GREAT Swenson Spreader that is now ready to go! The thing was used for 2 (?) seasons on a couple properties, barely any rust, strong engine, upgraded clutch, wired up nicely.... an awesome find! Pics below- picked it up yesterday and storing it at my shop.

Plow will be a 9" Western... not sure which one yet...Tires are getting thrown on next week, found some (very well priced) Goodyear g622 luggers for the back and some nice Goodyear steering tires for the front. I'm going to do two white LEDs on the back of the truck and maybe two amber LEDs on the front of the dump body cab hangover...
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a nice rig, just not sure about the Goodyears. I always call them good for a year because they wear down really bad. But to each his own, hope you have a good winter.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
Looks like a nice rig, just not sure about the Goodyears. I always call them good for a year because they wear down really bad.
Thanks! The winter tires will only be on for 4 months, so I would expect a little more life out of them... We found 4 of them off a CSX rail truck through a mechanic buddy. They are in brand new condition. At 80$ a piece. Just need to order two more in the rear and I'm set...much better than the 290.00 average price. Hopefully I can get the other two missing ones at 150ish.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

say bye bye to that nice rust free dump body lol.
Go on plowsite and order a federal signal highlighter, its a mini led bar and only $200 through a sponsor (ultra strobe) and bright as h*ll.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwdman View Post
say bye bye to that nice rust free dump body lol.
Go on plowsite and order a federal signal highlighter, its a mini led bar and only $200 through a sponsor (ultra strobe) and bright as h*ll.
Ha! ...my bed does have a little rust on it already. Yea, I do expect some more. I'm gonna be pretty obsessive about washing, constantly. The barn hose will be washing it out and fluid film will be poured on.

If I do get a small light bar for above the cab, it'll be cheap and basic (100.oo or less.) I'm gonna get some lighting but as far as cost, I'm going to spend the minimum.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Ha! ...my bed does have a little rust on it already. Yea, I do expect some more. I'm gonna be pretty obsessive about washing, constantly. The barn hose will be washing it out and fluid film will be poured on.

If I do get a small light bar for above the cab, it'll be cheap and basic (100.oo or less.) I'm gonna get some lighting but as far as cost, I'm going to spend the minimum.
Good man w/ the fluid film! lol

Then find a used dual rotator on craigslist or ebay for $100. I had an ecco on my dodge that was pretty low profile and for the $ really did the job. Hell if youre looking for low cost I'd just get two cheap beacons and put them on either side of the cab protector on the dump body.
It's a shame I had one I would sent you free if you paid the shipping!
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 11-14-2010, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a really nice looking spreader for being used....nice find