The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is definitely back braking. lol
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perfectearth: Do you guys cut any grass or just landscape? You got any years working on golf courses? great looking equipment and work!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M RASCOE&SONS View Post
that came out awesome!!
Thank you! I am happy with the final product. Always love the jobs you feel really great walking away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgserv View Post
p.e. great looking jobs..... but heres a lil secret i learned at hort college. after you spade or brd the edge hit it with the vertical shear, it really cleans up the loose grass that hangs in the bed. some times u can use them alone to clean up edges later in the season....buy them at am leonard make sure they are the vertical ones. good luck this year
Thanks very much... Could you link me to a page where can see this "shear" tool? Not familiar with what you're talking about- but I'm interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
That is definitely back braking. lol
Nothing a few beers couldn't erase tonight! Too bad the Cats lost to Uconn. I'm depressed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncare18 View Post
Perfectearth: Do you guys cut any grass or just landscape? You got any years working on golf courses? great looking equipment and work!
I have 3-4 yards I mow currently. I focus on only landscape work- and I grew up working on a golf course! Worked in the pro shop thru high school and then on grounds from the end of high school thru college. At my previous job on a private estate, we built and maintained a VERY high-end golf practice facility that covered around 5 acres- 4 USGA greens, 10 bunkers, 8 tee boxes and a sweet bentgrass fairway that connected everything... so I have quite a bit of golf maintenance and construction background.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing a few beers couldn't erase tonight! Too bad the Cats lost to Uconn. I'm depressed....

I like the ucon part
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of bit did you use on that drill?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

DUDE! Great looking work PE!

I just finally had a chance to zip through your thread and take a look at all the pics.

The only suggestion I have is if you do another long run of downspout drainage, use PVC pip instead of the cheap flexible plastic tile pipe.

If you ever get blockage, then a rooter will get through it without tearing it up.

Keep up the good work!

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M RASCOE&SONS View Post
what kind of bit did you use on that drill?
A cheap $14.00 bulb auger from Lowes! Best money ever spent. I bought it a month or so ago for an Ivy job where we put in about 900 plants. Bought the drill just for these jobs also...60.00 I think.

I do use a Stihl earth auger for this type of stuff also. More heavy duty bit and I also have a bit for the Stihl that is perfect for 1 gallon pots (like perennials and stuff)...but the DeWalt and cheap bit id the way to go. No fuel, no restarting it, lightweight. It's much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
DUDE! Great looking work PE!

I just finally had a chance to zip through your thread and take a look at all the pics.

The only suggestion I have is if you do another long run of downspout drainage, use PVC pip instead of the cheap flexible plastic tile pipe.

If you ever get blockage, then a rooter will get through it without tearing it up.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks Nick! Glad that you finally took a look. I agree with you on the pipe. That was the plan originally. Then the price difference came.... you now how that goes. A 100' roll of that tile is so cheap.

I wanted to use the smooth-walled black drain tile (in the 10 ft segments) cause I hate those ribs but even those where too much.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good man, couple questions.

Did you get your Pach in individual pots on a flat, or a flat "planted" with Pach? I hope I'm explaining that well enough.

Secondly, on the drill...do you use a side handle or was it pretty easy to control with just the trigger?

Also, did you till or amend the planting bed in any way? I always till in peat moss or pro-mix whenever I do new beds, makes everything easier to plant because the soil's already broken up and it better for the plants to have a nice airy soil.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Looks good man, couple questions.

Did you get your Pach in individual pots on a flat, or a flat "planted" with Pach? I hope I'm explaining that well enough.

Secondly, on the drill...do you use a side handle or was it pretty easy to control with just the trigger?

Also, did you till or amend the planting bed in any way? I always till in peat moss or pro-mix whenever I do new beds, makes everything easier to plant because the soil's already broken up and it better for the plants to have a nice airy soil.
Very good questions- I order a lot of groundcover from Classic Groundcovers in GA. I get it shipped in and this company does an outstanding job- it's always excellent. This was 'Green Sheen' Pachysandra, in 2 1/4" tiny plactic pots each... 70 to a box. They come packed up tight in waterproof cardboard boxes, wet, packed with newspaper.

The drill is just your basic trigger drill, no side handle (but that would be nice)..no issues.

The soil is so excellent at this house (near perfect) that I did not amend it. The hardwood mulch kinda acts as the amendment anyway...mulch about 3/4 to 1" before planting, and as you drill and plant, the mulch (it's really nice, organic mulch) gets mixed in with the soil you just drilled and it all goes in the hole as you plant each one.

The drill was going thru this soil like butter. It was pretty much loose, dark topsoil, sandy with no clay or anything.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Very good questions- I order a lot of groundcover from Classic Groundcovers in GA. I get it shipped in and this company does an outstanding job- it's always excellent. This was 'Green Sheen' Pachysandra, in 2 1/4" tiny plactic pots each... 70 to a box. They come packed up tight in waterproof cardboard boxes, wet, packed with newspaper.

The drill is just your basic trigger drill, no side handle (but that would be nice)..no issues.

The soil is so excellent at this house (near perfect) that I did not amend it. The hardwood mulch kinda acts as the amendment anyway...mulch about 3/4 to 1" before planting, and as you drill and plant, the mulch (it's really nice, organic mulch) gets mixed in with the soil you just drilled and it all goes in the hole as you plant each one.

The drill was going thru this soil like butter. It was pretty much loose, dark topsoil, sandy with no clay or anything.
Sounds good man, thank you

I like seeing how everybody else does things.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts