Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perfect earth: Sounds like my weather !! Making it a very hard year in the golf biz. Spraying is the hardest, went in on easter to spray 18 greens!! When its not raining we are prety much working sun up to sun down to stay ahead of schedule or try to. I want to send the rain to texas!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
VERY wet. We are in a very bad pattern right now. In the past 36 hours, we've had around 4" of rain...5" more expected in the next 3-4 days. It won't clear up until Friday. We are WAY over on rain for the year so far.
We've had it bad up here to. Sounds like you guys have it a little worse though.

It went from bone dry and highly productive, to sit around and do office work and estimates in the rain.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncare18 View Post
Perfect earth: Sounds like my weather !! Making it a very hard year in the golf biz. Spraying is the hardest, went in on easter to spray 18 greens!! When its not raining we are prety much working sun up to sun down to stay ahead of schedule or try to. I want to send the rain to texas!!!!
What are your bunkers like at you facility? High maintenance? clean edges or more of a natural look? Do they drain well or wash out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
We've had it bad up here to. Sounds like you guys have it a little worse though.

It went from bone dry and highly productive, to sit around and do office work and estimates in the rain.
You guys are getting pounded tonight, huh? We're in a bit of a break right now but the next two days look ugly.... Too bad I misjudged today- could have got to one of the jobs on the list but just ran errands instead and spent 850.00 on new AC for my truck. For some reason the clutch-type plate on the front of my compressor has been MIA... got the serpentine belt changed out too. Terrible day!

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perfect earth: We edge them all the begining of the season. Every other week we go through with weed wips, and keep that clean fresh edge. They all drain really well. We do have some washouts from time to time but have a brand new john deere trap rake with a plow to push it all back in place. Takes about 3 hours for 2 guys to do all the bunkers and hand rake the edges. Is the rain getting you behind?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
You guys are getting pounded tonight, huh? We're in a bit of a break right now but the next two days look ugly.... Too bad I misjudged today- could have got to one of the jobs on the list but just ran errands instead and spent 850.00 on new AC for my truck.
We got nailed again last night. I think we've had around 6-8 inches of rain over the last two weeks. It's been disgusting. It would be better if the sun would shine and the temps would come up, but after it rains it's just been staying wet.

I'm just glad we didn't get the massive amount of rain that fell on AK, and MO. They've had 14+ inches of rain in a 24 hour period.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncare18 View Post
Perfect earth: We edge them all the begining of the season. Every other week we go through with weed wips, and keep that clean fresh edge. They all drain really well. We do have some washouts from time to time but have a brand new john deere trap rake with a plow to push it all back in place. Takes about 3 hours for 2 guys to do all the bunkers and hand rake the edges. Is the rain getting you behind?
One of my first job tasks when I worked golf grounds was "the sandpro guy"... Grew up working on a course with like 75 bunkers, and they all had very steep faces and bad drainage (if any)... I would stay on that machine for two days to get everything back to normal- forward, reverse, forward, reverse, a million times. Bulldoze, cultivate, rear rake....I got pretty good at it so I was that guy. I've been on bunker crew for 5 PGA/Ryder Cup events at Valhalla here in Louisville, very detailed hand raking and leveling. Skipping the Senior PGA here in a few weeks, no time this year for volunteering. And yes, I'm behind! Customers are waiting on me... too much rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
We got nailed again last night. I think we've had around 6-8 inches of rain over the last two weeks. It's been disgusting. It would be better if the sun would shine and the temps would come up, but after it rains it's just been staying wet.

I'm just glad we didn't get the massive amount of rain that fell on AK, and MO. They've had 14+ inches of rain in a 24 hour period.
Same here. but yes, at least it's not been 14 inches. The Ohio River here is way up, could be a top 10 flood of all time. Tomorrow we are due for 3-4 inches with a major severe outbreak!!!! I don't believe it... It'll rain, but that's crazy.

So today we weeded a HOA, did boxwoods there too cuse the rain was making them top heavy, and then sloshed thru a regular customer's yard- trimming was about the only thing you could do today. I hated even being on the grass, compacting everything. Swear I trimmed about 70 or 80 barberry, boxwood and holly today at this house. and they are all TIGHT.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you do with all the clipping, or how do you get them up?
2013 x2 Turf Tiger Kohlar 61" 52"
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
2010 Stihl Chain Saw Farm Boss MS290 18"
2012 Stihl CHain Saw MS190
2008 Stihl HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl BG 85 Blower

2011 Kubota MX5100 w/ Loader and Brush Hog & Other Attachments

"If you are passionate and love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenbowLawn View Post
what do you do with all the clipping, or how do you get them up?
My guy comes behind me and cleans up (and I do too). If you're trimming Green Velvets, the cuttings are so small, we usually use our hands and "rake out" the trimmings from around the shrubs. We get the stuck leaves out too. We can use a small red fan rake for Holly trimmings or larger cuttings in open areas.... either way, we leave it as clean as possible, even if we're gonna mulch right over it.

We flip or fluff the mulch too, to hide and mix in the tiny leftovers. All gets thrown in the green buckets and hauled off.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang man ! That looks incredible. How much do you take off each time you trim do you cut like and inch in to get that perfect shape? I tried doing it like you the other day on a boxwood I went over it 3 times still did not look like that.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My gosh, you certainly have a lot more patience than I do!

Of course, I'm sure you're getting paid well for it, so maybe patience can be bought, lol.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts