Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-master man View Post
Remember you saying "can't wait to see the rust next yr" so how bad was it?
Not that bad. The inside of the dump bed looks the same. The frame of the truck (where it meets the dump body) has some top rust on the rails and the outside of the dump body has a few more of those rust "blisters".... Salt spreader looks exactly the same, except for the drag chain.

I was pretty obsessive about cleaning and lubing everything up after every single storm last winter. Plan on doing the same this year. Might go with just some cheap WD40 in a spray bottle this year and really cover everything. Fluid Film on the more crucial components.

What hurts is doing all those roads. Up one lane with plow and salt, and then the other lane back- all that fresh salt right up on your truck.

OH and the plow is absolutely spotless. Just like out of the box.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Not that bad. The inside of the dump bed looks the same. The frame of the truck (where it meets the dump body) has some top rust on the rails and the outside of the dump body has a few more of those rust "blisters".... Salt spreader looks exactly the same, except for the drag chain.

I was pretty obsessive about cleaning and lubing everything up after every single storm last winter. Plan on doing the same this year. Might go with just some cheap WD40 in a spray bottle this year and really cover everything. Fluid Film on the more crucial components.

What hurts is doing all those roads. Up one lane with plow and salt, and then the other lane back- all that fresh salt right up on your truck.

Glad to hear! That really is a beautiful truck, would hate to see it get ruined.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I'd go cheaper yet and just use used motor oil thinned with some diesel fuel. That's the plan for my truck next year, but I'm thinking about having the frame sandblasted and re-undercoated and I don't want any oil residue anywhere so the paint and undercoating sticks good.

It's a battle though, constantly keeping the rust at bay.

How's it going by the way PE? I've been on Plowsite mostly the last couple of months.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I'd go cheaper yet and just use used motor oil thinned with some diesel fuel. That's the plan for my truck next year, but I'm thinking about having the frame sandblasted and re-undercoated and I don't want any oil residue anywhere so the paint and undercoating sticks good.

It's a battle though, constantly keeping the rust at bay.

How's it going by the way PE? I've been on Plowsite mostly the last couple of months.

Hey Nick! It's going ok, been a very busy and sickly Fall as I wrote above- still feel terrible and tired. Lots of great things to enjoy as far as life goes, but it's been a bummer to be sick during it all. I've been on PlowSite a little more lately. Surfing around a bit more now that it's slowing.

So what is the exact formula for the oil/diesel mix? Would you use a cheapo pump tank from Home Depot to apply? Maybe spray bottles?

I think I'll pony up for a good sandblasting and paint after two more seasons. We'll see how she holds up.

What's your schedule like these days?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Going pretty good on this end. Had a good, but frustrating fall as it seems like everyday had at least 20 mph winds making it hard to push leaves around.

As for the oil, no science to it. I would suggest just heating the oil to room temp and adding diesel till it's thinned out enough to your liking. A cheap 1-2gal pump sprayer should do the trick. It's not as long lasting as the fluid film, but if you've got any used oil at all, then it basically costs nothing but your time. I still like the Fluid film for certain things though.

As for my schedule now, just finishing up some final cleanups, basically a few leaves blown in from neighbors who don't pick up their leaves.That and making money on seasonal snow accounts and we've had no snow yet. As far as I'm concerned though, I'm just making up for the last two highly eventful winters we've had.

Also had some good calls for dormant pruning on deciduous shrubs and ornamental trees. Just enough to keep me busy and not twiddling my thumbs with no snow.

Hope you get to feeling better. I never got sick until I had a kid, after that it seems like every 3 months I get a small cold at the minimum. Sucks when your trying to power through and get work done. Luckily I hired on a part-timer this year, and he should be mostly full time next summer as my work list for next year is looking pretty good.

Over-all, in this economy, I'm just happy to be showing growth in my biz.

Hope all is well with you PE, and hope your keeping yourself busy. !

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Very nice work
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Blown away by your work. Do you have a picture of your edger?

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirish320 View Post
Blown away by your work. Do you have a picture of your edger?
Thanks!

I have an Echo Bed Redefiner that rarely gets use. All edges are made by spade. No pic of the Echo, but you could Google "Echo BRD."

Blue Wolverine metal spade for edging.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I have an Echo Bed Redefiner that rarely gets use. All edges are made by spade. No pic of the Echo, but you could Google "Echo BRD."

Blue Wolverine metal spade for edging.
Even more impressed now! Thanks for the reply.

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah you're work is impressive to say the least.