Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a reason for changing from a Scag? Or do you just want a change?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad your having a great season so far PE!

I read your post on the previous page about the office work and keeping up, and I'm running into that problem this year. Lots of estimating and running around, then book work, then trying to actually get work done!

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great as usual!!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey Perf, glad to this thread still rolling! I've been using exmark mowers for awhile now-can't beat the turf tracer. This was cut with the new 48.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Looks good man as always. Everything you do is fantastic.
Thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobertsonETMC View Post
Perfect Earth,

You asked for advice. You have answered my questions, figured I would return the favor. Hope my 2 cents helps.

The hospital system that I take care of purchased a Z930a (Currently 200hrs) with 60" MOD deck and a Z970a (150hrs) with 72" deck in October. Really like both of them a lot. Have had a few issues with the "comfort and convenience" package on the 970. Whenever there are wet clippings sticking to the underside of the 72" deck, the actuator strains a lot to pick up the weight of that extremely heavy deck. (The 7iron is a tremendous deck and has a great quality of cut, but it is extremely heavy.) However, I think I might could adjust the lift spring a little more to allow it to relieve some more of the weight of the deck. Just have to make sure that it doesn't remain "floated" after going over bumps.

However, back on to your topic, our Z930 has been superb to work with. It does not have the comfort and convenience package on it, but we did add the seat suspension kit since we have some very bumpy terrain at a few of my campuses. The ride is not as smooth as others, but with the suspension kit it is much more bearable. Even in Texas it can stripe quite well and leaves a very nice cut. The MOD is certainly a nice feature. I really like being able to close the deck and keep hardscapes cleaner than discharging all over them. The MOD handled leaves this year quite well. I didn't bag, but the 7iron MOD did a very good job of mulching those up and getting them down below the turf's canopy. I also like the MOD as opposed to a fixed mulching kit, because when the deck does start to hold clippings, the operator can move the MOD lever back and forth and knock a few of the clippings loose, where as a fixed mulch kits I've had before continue to get worse.

Those are a few of the observations I have made on our Z900's so far. Hope it helps you with your decision.
Thanks for the input. I went to the dealer yesterday and was able to look at a bunch of extra features (the MOD, comfort packages...etc) Don't want any of them! The MOD had way to many moving parts. Tough to engage it too.

Also rode around Z925A with a 54" deck. That will be the one I think... or the 930. 54" makes more sense for what we'll be mowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Stripes look great man.
Not bad for a 1998 36" Scag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.T. View Post
Is there a reason for changing from a Scag? Or do you just want a change?
Dealer stuff primarily. I love out Deere and Exmark dealers and loathe the Scag dealer here. Deere sale guy is a good buddy of mine. I really like the machine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Glad your having a great season so far PE!

I read your post on the previous page about the office work and keeping up, and I'm running into that problem this year. Lots of estimating and running around, then book work, then trying to actually get work done!...
Thanks Nick. Yes, too many late nights in the office. Still wearing too many hats. Something's gonna have to change at some point. Can't keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
hey Perf, glad to this thread still rolling! I've been using exmark mowers for awhile now-can't beat the turf tracer. This was cut with the new 48.
Nice cut! I will certainly be looking at the Exmark. Thanks!

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Thanks Nick. Yes, too many late nights in the office. Still wearing too many hats. Something's gonna have to change at some point. Can't keep it up.
Luckily the kid I hired this year is interested in Drafting and Architectural drafting. I might be able to pass off some of the design work to him.

But I hear ya, It's kinda a limbo situation. Basically not enough work load to hire on someone specifically for the other hats, but almost too much for one person to handle.

I'm hoping my web-site that's in the works doesn't overload me too much and I can make a transition into a 50/50 (work/management) role to keep the jobs producing while estimating and designing for the next jobs.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Luckily the kid I hired this year is interested in Drafting and Architectural drafting. I might be able to pass off some of the design work to him.

But I hear ya, It's kinda a limbo situation. Basically not enough work load to hire on someone specifically for the other hats, but almost too much for one person to handle.

I'm hoping my web-site that's in the works doesn't overload me too much and I can make a transition into a 50/50 (work/management) role to keep the jobs producing while estimating and designing for the next jobs.

I've just got to get better labor- somehow! Had to fire a guy 10 days ago that we thought was working out. Really need a 4 man crew right now, but will I need it in August? Can I afford it? Maybe.... Ah the growing pains. I've always been "slow and steady wins the race" but when you have customers telling you that you need more help, it burns a bit.

The truth is, they want ME on their property working- not some random dude we just drop off. It's a tough balance. Still "young" in this though and we'll be ok. Just stressed right now because of my body (pains!) and we're in a limbo area with a guy last year that wants to come back, but may be a three week gap right now. And we need someone now. 5 minutes ago got a call from my August-Nov. guy last year who wants some part time hours. We'll start him Tuesday for an extra set of hands. Anything helps. Every year and Spring season is a learning experience for sure...

Derby Day (May 5th) is huge around here and it's just a miserable "deadline" day for jobs.

I got on Angie's List this year and really pushed customer reviews (19 total right now) and we get a lot of calls from it. I suggest it highly, if you need some volume and can generate excellent reviews.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

From one Louisvillian to another, do you design your own landscape or farm it out? Do you use a certain program?

I can do the installs just fine, but my design stuff is not on power with what I want to do.

Any help would be a help.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackster View Post
From one Louisvillian to another, do you design your own landscape or farm it out? Do you use a certain program?

I can do the installs just fine, but my design stuff is not on power with what I want to do.

Any help would be a help.
We don't use anyone else.

We do not use a CAD program or ProLandscape.... most of the design stuff is either on-the-fly (when a customer is ok with that) or we design it, have a plant list, and meet with them to describe in detail what goes where. We do hand-drawings if needed. Sometimes a quick sketch is all that's needed.

People have incredible trust in us to produce a nice product, and so far it's been ok. As we grow, we've talked about getting DynaScape and my partner swears he'll sit down and learn it, use it, etc.... who knows.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

more pictures........
Attached Images