Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwdman View Post
Actually know a guy (the one who referred me) who was having this guy do a whole website and the guy went AWOL. Lots of $$ down the drain..

I seem to have an obsession w/ hostas, IMO one of the most natural and beautiful plants out there. Seeing so many of them in your pictures has triggered me saying this lol.
ewww, sucks for him. I got what I needed but looking back, probably wouldn't do it again.

Hostas are quite functional for coverage and texture...BUT, no other perennial covers so much in summer and so little in winter! Gotta remember those bare spots in the off-season when using them.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
ewww, sucks for him. I got what I needed but looking back, probably wouldn't do it again.

Hostas are quite functional for coverage and texture...BUT, no other perennial covers so much in summer and so little in winter! Gotta remember those bare spots in the off-season when using them.
Same could be said for hydrenga, usually we have enough snow where it isnt a concern in the winter.
*I've also never taken that into consideration when doing work, nor has any customer ever brought it up to me, you're not THAT much further south than me! lol
Gotta love lilac's this time of year too! Mmmm I can just smell it now haha.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=PerfectEarth;3560351]I know quite a bit about plants, but honestly, I still get shy at nurseries when walking around with the guys who work there! I know a lot, but there is SOOO much more- especially with perennials and specific varieties (juniper, viburnum, hydrangea, etc)... It'd be great for you to pick up some more landscape-oriented work- I'm glad I went LANDSCAPE first, GRASS second. Ran into a guy this morning getting coffee, he saw my jacket- says "I'm ok with my lawn guy but when he tries to landscape or do something with plants, it's not good." Gave him my card, he'll call for an appointment. I run into this allllllll the time. So many guys mowing grass and not enough who just do installs/maintenance. And I like mowing grass!!

For me, there is just more money per day in landscaper than mowing. I am not a huge company that needs to fill time with grass.....maybe one day! Good luck!QUOTE]

Yea I do the trimming, edging, and mulching pretty good as I take my time and try and make it look perfect and my customers are happy. It's just the installs that get troublesome. Picking the right plants, designing it, etc.... I recently purchased a residential design book but havent had a chance to finish it yet but it is very helpful. I've done a few small install projects and I think they turned out OK and the people like them. Just nothing award winning. Thats why I think I"ll stick to the landscape maintenance side for now. I like sod installations as there isnt much of a design factor but you still need to grade it right and other the other fun stuff to make it look good. And you are totally right with the more money per day or hour landscaping than mowing. I can usually make the same amount doing landscape maintenace in a half day compared to 9-10hrs mowing, installs even more. I just need to spend a day at nursery and check out everything to get ideas of what is out there.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I give a customer a plant list or a drawing, I still tell them that items are subject to change. One trip to the nursery to pick up what you think you want, changes in a second when you see the new arrivals, or a different size of this or that... I always drive thru my 3 or 4 favorite nurseries to check stock and availability. My best design work can happen there.

The process- for me- can be very on the fly and evolving. And the customer should know that- most every time they are cool as long as you stick within that estimate price somewhere. I try to place large items first, create general flows, and work down to smaller, filler items. What needs to be evergreen? Single item specimen here or mass there? Dedicated annual beds? What are my "go to" plants? What will the winter interest be? Flows and step-downs, how many different plan types to use? I always ask all these questions and more. It's hard work! And I've put plants in bad places....you just learn and go on.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

double post......
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Thanks Pete! Yea, I'd much rather sit on one property and bill out hourly (or estimated job price) than run around town burning fuel for 40-50$ yards. I can completely understand doing that and it's fine (I do it one day a week)...I'd have to do 17 yards a day to match a landscape maintenance/install job. And that doesn't include materials!

I would like to generate enough to have a dedicated mowing crew one day but that's completely additional... A few of the higher-end, larger landscape companies in Louisville have one or two mowing crews and the rest is all landscape-focused.
Yes I totally agree, I am starting to not like the mowing side more and more. I am just starting to get my feet wet into smaller installs but hopefully I can grow more and more through word of mouth. Do you have any tips for generating leads when first starting doing installs? I am gonna put together a nice brochure, and upsell to mowing clients as well, but anything else you can think of?

The mowing crew sounds like a good idea, that way you can offer it to any customer who asks so you don't have to deal with other guys taking your landscaping jobs.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice looking Beds!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Should be in the shower now or eating.... whupped

Huge rains this morning, so started this mulching a bit after 11 am... me and a guy. 14 yards in 7 hours. The mulching is so detailed I can't believe we finished (still have a tiny bit in the waaaaay back but nothing major.) All hand-spread except two more open areas that aren't that big. I normally do this one with 3 guys in 8 hours but we just buckled down today. Wet, dirty, nasty, fast, back-breaking day.

The second trip to get mulch at 3 pm, there was about 6 inches of water in the mulch bin at the nursery...
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Backyard- but these don't even do it justice. It's massive with a whole other sideyard and places you can't see. I dread the backyard!
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Dude you do great work. If you do installs as well as you maintain....you will have no problem finding work and growing larger...just keep your employees doing that great work and you should excel really well. Thats the best maint. job I have seen on here yet.