Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good-nice prepwork-now bring on the rain! What seed did you use? Fescue? Brutal drought this year but things are bouncing back-lotta patio time this summer.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
Speaking of mounting plates, check out this doozy I managed to do on my Boxer!
Ouch! Took me a second to see that. I guess that calls for a new mounting plate!

I'm shocked that we haven't broken anything on our fork attachment. We've had those things under some serious load and nothing so far! (knock wood)

Yard looks great, Groomer.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Ouch! Took me a second to see that. I guess that calls for a new mounting plate!

I'm shocked that we haven't broken anything on our fork attachment. We've had those things under some serious load and nothing so far! (knock wood)

Yard looks great, Groomer.
Yeah sorry for the close pic. I think that's what I was using when I initially cracked it (my forks) things are SOLID.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

PE, I know you tend to use a breaker fairly often, or at least it seems that way.

A company just a few miles north of us makes a jaw, and they make them for mini-skids also, and they call it the mini-beak.

http://www.danielmfg.com/products.php

I've been up to look at it and see it work and it's pretty sweet. I got a quote for a high capacity bucket from them also for my mini to load mulch faster.

Just thought you should have a look, but I'm thinking you need the backhoe attachment first.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What size is the higher capacity bucket for the mini skid?

We were just talking today about how the larger bucket was the best purchase ever. It's increased our speed on jobs incredibly.

Today, we (two of us) moved and spread 16 yards of mulch in just a few hours with the Dingo into a tight backyard. Open bed space... super easy. I will be using the Dingo for hardwood MUCH more next Spring on a few jobs. Why I've been wheelbarrowing, I'll never know.

That Beak looks awesome for removing shrubs!! But a bit costly, just like your beloved backhoe!

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious for those of you that use your Dingo or other mini skid for residential mulch installs how do you keep from tearing up the ground? I know you can just avoid running over the same spot twice but I found that it made some good ruts just driving around my brothers property during my patio install for him. We've had such a dry summer I couldn't imagine a wet summer and the ruts. Also turning , even when I tried to make a slow multi point turn it still seemed to eat up the ground a bit. Any tips, knowledge, advice, etc..... It would definitely be nice to not have to wheelbarrow.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
What size is the higher capacity bucket for the mini skid?

We were just talking today about how the larger bucket was the best purchase ever. It's increased our speed on jobs incredibly.
It's something like 6.5 cubic feet from the dimensions Tim Daniel came up with. Probably close to what yours is. I want to go bigger yet, but I'm not sure how to calculate the weight of the mulch in regards to tipping capacity in conjunction with the weight of the bucket. The mulch could be wet/dry or otherwise. I think my Vermeer has a higher capacity to the dingo, so how well does your bucket do when it's fully loaded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Just curious for those of you that use your Dingo or other mini skid for residential mulch installs how do you keep from tearing up the ground? I know you can just avoid running over the same spot twice but I found that it made some good ruts just driving around my brothers property during my patio install for him. We've had such a dry summer I couldn't imagine a wet summer and the ruts. Also turning , even when I tried to make a slow multi point turn it still seemed to eat up the ground a bit. Any tips, knowledge, advice, etc..... It would definitely be nice to not have to wheelbarrow.
I personally haven't used mine on mulch installs for that reason. But, I did just get a set of Prowler Tracks for my Vermeer and they do way less damage to the turf over the OEM tracks so I might be utilizing it more for mulch jobs. If it's too wet though, I'd just resort to wheelbarrows.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Because of that issue and using a tiller in general (walk-behind or otherwise) I'm designing a ripper for my machine to break the soil compaction before tilling. That should make a massive difference in the tilling results.

My Beef with a Harley rake is that you don't relieve the compaction in the soil so water penetration and getting a good stand of quality grass is harder to do.

I know I'm highjacking so I apologize PE.

Would aerating after the harley rake solve this problem?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PE,

I've been following your thread for awhile now, I'm very envious of the work you do, I show my guys your pics all the time and tell them "This is the standard" We've gotten more and more into the landscaping side this past year, I need a dingo so bad. I'm renting everything now but getting good results, I've gotten a lot of great reviews on AL for our work, thanks for letting us see how it should be done.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am happy with my harley rakes. I can till 4-6" with it. If it is too hard for a harley rake it is prob too hard for a tiller
Posted via Mobile Device