Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That renovation turned out great man.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Real nice! Were they in charge of watering? Do you maintain it?

I don't have a page 66 of the thread, I only have 19 pages. In your user options you can change to have more posts per page. But some may like flipping pages.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Renovation looks awesome, looks like you laid sod not seed! Care to share your ingredients lol. I know the power seeder was key.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They watered it. We maintain it. This year we had really nice seeding weather and lucky rain timing.

I guess the secret on this one was the ground prep... it was a perfectly prepared soil seedbed before we even ran the powerseeder. I'm a big fan of straw now too. Used to hate using it but I'm sold now. That's just John Deere Landscape's try-blend Fescue.

Leaf job- almost filled the truck on this one alone. Two of us, 2 hours flat
Attached Images

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks can be deceiving on fall clean ups! I learned the hard way on a few this year. Its my 2nd yr in business and The volume of money was great but my time spent was not what I'd like and the amt of loading of my mower bagger into the bed of my truck absolutely sucked. I'm definitely buying a dump truck, leaf loader & walker ghs next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Looks can be deceiving on fall clean ups! I learned the hard way on a few this year. Its my 2nd yr in business and The volume of money was great but my time spent was not what I'd like and the amt of loading of my mower bagger into the bed of my truck absolutely sucked. I'm definitely buying a dump truck, leaf loader & walker ghs next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, it doesn't take long at all to realize what the right equipment can do on leaf clean-ups! It's night and day. We had to load up some green buckets of leaves the other day (the vac and box were off the truck) and we looked at each other laughing about how bad that sucked! We are spoiled now.

We do them all hourly too. And if we ballpark hours for someone and come in less, it obviously goes to the customer's credit... like that job above, we said probably 2.5 to 3 hours... came in at 2.

I'm looking at leaves (like seeding) as a great customer builder- people have been thrilled and I think we're gonna gain a lot of people next year for larger landscape work.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first year I didn't too many clean ups at all and I had a half ton short box. Now I have my 8.1 w/ long box, I can handle larger jobs. But paying out help to other guys to vac the leaves with a leaf loader on a few of the big ones definitely affected my bottom line. But thankfully everything got done and I'll send out letters in Feb/March to sell every client I did business with into a full service contract. That's the only way to go. That way, clean ups are done every week and the amount of work at each property is less and easier than one massive one. And we have full control of the entire landscape and can find problems (if any) and fix them easier than having to track down "their fertilizing guy" or what ever it may be. Plus it leads to installs as well.
I price every clean up (and everything else except for 1 plowing contract) by the job, you do per man hour I assume?

I have one small patio, one small tearout & bed install w/ edging, shrubs & mulch, and one massive tearout w/ black dirt, irrigation, & sod in the backyard and irrigation & a couple beds in the front yard just about set in stone for next year. I'll be paying down some loans & cc's with the profits from those plus all my maint work, and that should all lead to more installs and then I'll buy the new equipment. I need to fit an enclosed trailer into the list also.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

"If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake."
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that grass came in great.who made the leaf box and is it light?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Still deep into clean-ups and loving it.... really glad we got the new vac and the box made this year!! Jobs have gone really smooth. Here are some leaf pics. (yeah, I know. Really exciting...)
I know this is from a while ago but have you had any problems with your BG loader? We picked up a new 18hp one last August and put about 50 hrs on it last leaf season. I pulled it out of storage in August and noticed there was a large amount of fuel in the oil. I emailed some of the techs at Billy Goat and they said "it was caused by the needle valve in the carb leaking past. Sometimes just moving the machine around can case this" The fuel was treated before it was put in storage and the warranty would not cover this. We love this unit and could not do leaves the way we do now without it. Just feel like it was poorly designed. (battery melting, this carb problem, and its impossibility to put fuel in the tank just to name a few!) haha sorry for the rant just thought i'd give you a heads up!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M RASCOE&SONS View Post
that grass came in great.who made the leaf box and is it light?
There is an awning company here in town that fabricates really nice aluminum/fabric awning structures for businesses and homes- so they do some very nice aluminum fab... I just drove in there one day and started talking to the owner about building the box. Long story short, they took on the job and did an incredible job doing something they normally do not do!

It is very light, but weighty enough to be stable in the truck bed. I took it out this week by myself in about 20 minutes (and that was scrambling around the shop lot looking for stand materials!!) Had it back in the truck, alone again, in 15 minutes and could move it by hand to adjust it's position. Really easy to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerlawn View Post
I know this is from a while ago but have you had any problems with your BG loader? We picked up a new 18hp one last August and put about 50 hrs on it last leaf season. I pulled it out of storage in August and noticed there was a large amount of fuel in the oil. I emailed some of the techs at Billy Goat and they said "it was caused by the needle valve in the carb leaking past. Sometimes just moving the machine around can case this" The fuel was treated before it was put in storage and the warranty would not cover this. We love this unit and could not do leaves the way we do now without it. Just feel like it was poorly designed. (battery melting, this carb problem, and its impossibility to put fuel in the tank just to name a few!) haha sorry for the rant just thought i'd give you a heads up!
YES. Prior to this new vac, I used the same model for my old job (I would borrow the vac and we would use my dump trailer for the box as kind of an equipment swap - long story...)

Anyway, the fuel system and carb always acted up. That vac was purchased in 2001 and every year the engine started great but had to be babied perfectly to keep running well. It would flood constantly, you had to fire it up JUST RIGHT with the choke and throttle or you were screwed....

I still, after 11 years, notice the same issues with my new vac now. It's just finicky. The KEY is this I think----> you MUST shut off the fuel after every single use. I do it out of habit now. Throttle down, then turn the gas off, let it run for a few seconds more, then kill the switch. I don't want any excess fuel in the carb... I think the way it's designed, you get a gravity flow of fuel that builds up and floods everything. On the old unit, I would always have to take the gas tank off and use air to blow everything out and there was frequently gasoline soaking everything. So ALWAYS shut off the fuel line.

Funny you mention filling the gas tank!! It's TERRIBLE!! It's designed so you can't just fill it quickly and to the top- there is so much bad air space in the tank that you have to trickle the fuel in so it doesn't spill everywhere. Even then, you can't fill it to the top. You could sit there all day!

So yea, really disappointed in Briggs' inability to tweak what is mostly a strong running engine when it's happy. They should be embarrassed to have the same issues over 12 years.