Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Happy Winter, everyone.

I'm really badly laid up with a herniated disc... will find out tomorrow if I have to have surgery. Been home and in pain for 15 days now. I'm going a bit crazy! Definitely worried about this coming year, but one step at a time.

If there's one lesson I've learned here - TAKE CARE of your bodies! I have brutally abused and neglected my back for years and now I'm paying the price. You don't want this! Hire help, exercise and stretch.

I hope I'll be ready to go this season. We are going to be swamped - either way, will be hiring! I'm done slinging every shovel of mulch and being on my hands and knees all day.

Good news - we won a 2012 "Angie's List" Super Service Award for our work in the 'landscape' and 'lawn and yard work' categories here in Louisville! This should blow up our business this year. If you are not on Angie's List, I really suggest it. It is free and has brought us tons of calls and GOOD, new customers.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Happy Winter, everyone.

I'm really badly laid up with a herniated disc... will find out tomorrow if I have to have surgery. Been home and in pain for 15 days now. I'm going a bit crazy! Definitely worried about this coming year, but one step at a time.

If there's one lesson I've learned here - TAKE CARE of your bodies! I have brutally abused and neglected my back for years and now I'm paying the price. You don't want this! Hire help, exercise and stretch.

I hope I'll be ready to go this season. We are going to be swamped - either way, will be hiring! I'm done slinging every shovel of mulch and being on my hands and knees all day.

Good news - we won a 2012 "Angie's List" Super Service Award for our work in the 'landscape' and 'lawn and yard work' categories here in Louisville! This should blow up our business this year. If you are not on Angie's List, I really suggest it. It is free and has brought us tons of calls and GOOD, new customers.
Dude, that sucks.

Amazing thing is I'm about in the same situation. No herniated disc, but back problems almost constantly now.

I'm also looking to amp things up and hire on more people this year. This is going to be pivotal year for us and hopefully I can make the expansion and still get paid.

Good luck to ya! Get to feeling better and let us know how things are going.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Dude, that sucks.

Amazing thing is I'm about in the same situation. No herniated disc, but back problems almost constantly now.

I'm also looking to amp things up and hire on more people this year. This is going to be pivotal year for us and hopefully I can make the expansion and still get paid.

Good luck to ya! Get to feeling better and let us know how things are going.
Thanks man. The back just finally took a #$%@ ... I've been in general pain for so many years in my hips and lower back (stiffness). All I can hope for is that this disc issue is responsible for the majority of it and once it's fixed, I can live pain-free.

Good luck this year! I'm sure like me, there's list of stuff you want (or need) to buy for 2013 for expansion ... but there's only so much $$.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That sucks about your back, hopefully it'll get straightened out for spring. Congrats award you deserve it!!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a couple issues with my back and neck, primarily from being on ZTR's and racing motocross has contributed a bit. Have you gone to a chiropractor? I have gone to a couple different ones on and off and it has certainly helped me out. It's a good encouragement to get me out of the field as fast as possible so I don't run equipment and kill my back & neck in the process.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We all forget what father time and this type of work does to us mortals! Hope you heal up quick-they have some amazing treatments these days.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That stinks about your back! Hopefully it won't keep you out of commission for too long!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hate that about your back, I was always taught to lift with your knees and don't use your back like a hinge, use your legs instead. I learned early on in the military about that, for some reason it always stuck with me. Congrats on the angies list award, we also won the SSA in our area this year, looking forward to a great year as well because of it. AL has been the best ROI on our advertising money hands down.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all the well wishes! I really appreciate it.

No surgery for me... going to have to let it heal, which is going to be a challenge. Going to get an epidural next (shot right in the disc to help with inflammation) and I hope it knocks a lot of the pain out. I have probably slept 16 hours in three weeks, no kidding. I'm not sure how I'm functioning!

Congrats on the SSA, cpl! ...can't say enough good things about business from Angie's List.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Thanks for all the well wishes! I really appreciate it.

No surgery for me... going to have to let it heal, which is going to be a challenge. Going to get an epidural next (shot right in the disc to help with inflammation) and I hope it knocks a lot of the pain out. I have probably slept 16 hours in three weeks, no kidding. I'm not sure how I'm functioning!

Congrats on the SSA, cpl! ...can't say enough good things about business from Angie's List.
That's what they gave the ol lady when she was giving birth you ain't gonna feel sh*#
Posted via Mobile Device