Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that lube and fluids just to get it started would be scary enough.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

The fuel truck pulls up and puts 11,000 dollars worth of fuel into it the machine holds 11,300 litres of fuel
Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are all thinking small, if it costs that much to run, think of the money it must make.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
You guys are all thinking small, if it costs that much to run, think of the money it must make.
And how long they last compared to a smaller hoe... Look at the Demag stuff that's been running 30-40 years in PA and is just being replaced. A machine that big usually stays with a mine all it's life. It will pay for itself over and over with a the 20 year mine run.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty nice machine! The larger Hitachi shovels are a great machine to run, a bit of a pain to work on sometimes though...lol. Just a quick note, the bucket is a bit smaller than 57 yards. The biggest rock bucket a 5500 could handle would be more like 37 yards, still cool none the less. This is pretty much my area of expertise.

It takes about 2 weeks to strip one down and move it to a new location. They are all modular, so they come apart and go together really fast.

As for the price of the machine, depending on how it is spec'd out and the service contracts offered it will vary greatly. But the base price should be in the 6 to 7 million range.

Last edited by alco; 05-16-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
Pretty nice machine! The larger Hitachi shovels are a great machine to run, a bit of a pain to work on sometimes though...lol. Just a quick note, the bucket is a bit smaller than 57 yards. The biggest rock bucket a 5500 could handle would be more like 37 yards, still cool none the less. This is pretty much my area of expertise.
But if it was digging light weight coal, wouldn't it handle the 57 yard bucket?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t190 View Post
Our Mine, which is set to open late this year. Has ordered 2-pc6000 komatsu shovels! along with 12-komatsu 240 ton trucks, 3- d375 and the biggest komatsu loader you can buy, which should be the second biggest in canada. Only 1 caT piece!?!?! 16m grader
I'm guessing you are somewhere near Princeton. If that's the case, the equipment fleet is a bit different to the list you posted. They are actually getting 2 PC8000 shovels, 13 830E trucks, 2 375 dozers, 1 WA600 wheel dozer, and the one WA1200 loader. The WA1200 is the 3rd largest loader in Canada, behind the L1800 and L1850 LeTourneaus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
They will be switching to Cat haul trucks and a Cat wheel loader. Any gravel mine that has tried Komatsu haul trucks or Loaders have gotten rid of them because they fall apart fast.
Keep in mind that this is not a gravel mine, these machines are far bigger than anything you'd find in a gravel pit. The large Komatsu trucks are actually very reliable and long lasting machines. Also, the WA1200 is supposed to be a very reliable and productive loader, though I have not had the opportunity to work with one yet.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
But if it was digging light weight coal, wouldn't it handle the 57 yard bucket?
Actually, a 57 yard bucket would be a bit big even for strictly coal. The biggest issue is that they wouldn't be using a machine that size to load only coal in the mines around Tumbler Ridge. Typically, they will use a smaller machine and a big machine like this will be used to load overburden/rock. I'm not saying it won't see occasional use as a coal shovel, but it will mostly do rock. If they put a coal bucket on it, it would be a custom bucket since they don't offer a stock option for a coal only bucket. In order for a bucket to be able to handle the large volumes of a lightweight material, it would have to be built a lot lighter and couldn't handle the stresses involved in rock loading. So if they put a coal bucket on it, it could never load rock and would never be kept busy enough in coal alone.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to see this stuff work check this guy's YouTube channel out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Miningpower

Demag's,Drag Lines, Pay-loaders, Haul trucks, Dozers, and so on right up close and personal

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 05-16-2010, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco View Post
Actually, a 57 yard bucket would be a bit big even for strictly coal. The biggest issue is that they wouldn't be using a machine that size to load only coal in the mines around Tumbler Ridge. Typically, they will use a smaller machine and a big machine like this will be used to load overburden/rock. I'm not saying it won't see occasional use as a coal shovel, but it will mostly do rock. If they put a coal bucket on it, it would be a custom bucket since they don't offer a stock option for a coal only bucket. In order for a bucket to be able to handle the large volumes of a lightweight material, it would have to be built a lot lighter and couldn't handle the stresses involved in rock loading. So if they put a coal bucket on it, it could never load rock and would never be kept busy enough in coal alone.

Keep in mind due to new rules/regulations more and more front shovels are being fitted with buckets larger then the machine can fill. WCB/THEMAN has issues with heaped full buckets because when a 5 foot boulder rolls out while the machine is swinging it can do serious damage and/or cause a fatality, Most coal mines is the states only run buckets that machine is able to fill 3/4. That way it's safer and production stays the same.