Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Turf management as a major?

I'm 19 and I recently started a lawn care business with a buddy. I like mowing lawns and am considering switching my major to turf management. I'm a real estate major right now and was considering minoring in business. Anyway my question is has anyone majored in turf management? What kind of career opportunities do you have in the future? Is there a lot to learn in turf management or would i be better off majoring in business and just start my own business?

Any help would be awesome! I consider myself a blue collar guy with a business state of mind because I want the money!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I majored in turf management stayed for two and a half years but never finished. ALL the turf management courses are geared to golf courses and sports fields, not our biz. The best thing you can major in our biz is Hort with a minor in biz. You only need to know so much about grass to run a company but you do really need a strong plant knowledge.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

An education, like anything else should be geared towards a specific goal in mind.

Turfgrass Agronomy, taken at a decent university, should provide the horticulture knowledge base necessary in the LCO field.

The business aspect is where a great deal of LCO's fail so if you are planning upon being self employed I'd suggest (based on over 20 years in this industry spanning essentially all aspects) a Turfgrass Agronomy degree with a strong minor in Business.

Provided you stay self employed the business degree will help with your company. Should you decide to become involved in commercial sites like a golf course or athletic field, the agronomy is necessary beyond the limited exposure a hort degree allows. And what separates applicants from people actually being hired is a decent agronomic knowledge coupled with a strong business foundation as a g.c. or athletic field position also requires a revenue generation thought process - after all the goal is to make money and simply knowing all there is about grass doesn't cut it any longer.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mine was also geared towards golf, but not entirely at all. go for that and bus, as both will be useful

Tags
college , lawn , management , school , turf