Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any one

I have been called by the local collage soccer coach about some bald spots on his field. He has consulted with the turf guy at the collage and was not satisfied with his I do not know answer. i have been talking to the coach for about a year on his field so that is why he called me and plus my 14 year-old is a keeper. He has 3 weeks to repair the center of the field and in front of the net. He has also said that after the big games at the end of May he will re sod the areas. I am thinking from turf paint to just re sod now. I do not thing their is a seed that will fill-in in only 3 weeks.

Any help of ideas I do know why did he not call sooner.

Thanks

Training them early
Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need ideas

resod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC
Resod now--time is too tight. Field is overused, it is unsafe. If it rains, it will be a slippery mess. Even if you used pregerminated ryegrass, 3 weeks is not long enough. And I am not sure you could even use ryegrass--your climate is too hot. Is this Bermuda? Bermuda overseeded with rye? Zoysia? Tall Fescue?
Is soil hard packed? Aeration is probably needed.
Reduce the number of hours per week field is used. Use a different field for practice. Is there any way possible to move the goals to even out the wear? Go 50 feet north, south, east or west? Keep fertility high to encourage it to rapidly fill in and recover. Likewise keep the irrigation at the proper level for maximum growth, (reduce it on game day to keep the footing firm).
Maybe some of our athletic field guys that are closer to your climate can advise you in more detail.

I was thinking of resod but will the rots have time to grab so a player will not slide and take the turf with her. It is all Bermuda and only one field with a fence around it so they can not move the goals. If i resod would it help secure the sod by putting landscape Staples into the repaired area? Fertility should i use less N and more P and K fert liquid or gran. I know soil test but it will take a week to get it back and I do not think I should Waite.

Thanks for getting back to me and glad to see you sold your spray rig. I use to get to GR MI quite a bit.

Training them early
Old 07-02-2010, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Just joined the site but first thing that came to mind for me is compaction issues. Did you take a look and do any repair?