Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayklown View Post
signed contract you get paid no matter what
Uh....no. Signed contract means they signed a piece of paper, unless they also gave you a spare ATM card and PIN number, it's just a piece of paper.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
Uh....no. Signed contract means they signed a piece of paper, unless they also gave you a spare ATM card and PIN number, it's just a piece of paper.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner....
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

wrong. yes it is "only a piece of paper" yes. but if they sign a contract with everything outlined (have a lawyer write it up for you) if they decide they dont want you to cut their lawn they have to give you due notice before cancellation (usually 30 days) if then they decide to cancel thats up to them. the contract states it. now if they say they dont want you to cut anymore then you show them the signed contract where everything is outlined and you cut the grass and they are liable for the payment for service. take that to court youll see how quick the judge rules in your favor. If you guys dont have contracts for your work prepare to get burned one day. 99% of the people will be honest. we get that "piece of paper" signed for that 1%. please dont listen to these 2 yahoos above me. obviously they dont understand the legalities of running a profitable business.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I always send a Letter discussing my services after the first cut. The letter is on letterhead and repeats my price. The letter may have "The fifth (5) service if regarly scheduled is free. That only means the fifth one not the 10th or 15th etc. there is only one 5th cut for the year. Letterhead, business cards and flyer/post card all have phone number, web address and email.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayklown View Post
wrong. yes it is "only a piece of paper" yes. but if they sign a contract with everything outlined (have a lawyer write it up for you) if they decide they dont want you to cut their lawn they have to give you due notice before cancellation (usually 30 days) if then they decide to cancel thats up to them. the contract states it. now if they say they dont want you to cut anymore then you show them the signed contract where everything is outlined and you cut the grass and they are liable for the payment for service. take that to court youll see how quick the judge rules in your favor. If you guys dont have contracts for your work prepare to get burned one day. 99% of the people will be honest. we get that "piece of paper" signed for that 1%. please dont listen to these 2 yahoos above me. obviously they dont understand the legalities of running a profitable business.
You're the 'yahoo' my friend....how much did your lawyer cost to protect you from losing out on a few $30 cuts??? Also EVEN IF a judge rules in your favor, it's just a judgement. The customer can still withhold payment, then you're talking filing more legal action, more time, trips to the courthouse. But I suppose that's a lot more profitable than just letting someone cancel when they want to.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't know what you don't know. That sounds obvious but it's not, really. Speculating will get you nowhere. having a plan will.

Call it the "Courtesy Blowout Call"

"John, it was a pleasure connecting with you and helping out with your lawn a few weeks ago. I would like to become your regular lawn service if that is something you would be interested in. I left you a few messages previously and going forward I don't want to be a pest. If you decide that regular lawn mowings/sevice would be something you want to have done, please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. If I don't hear from you I will assume you have gone in a different direction. Thanks again for your interest, I hope to hear from you soon."

Done. Don't think about it, or worry about it. You did nothing wrong. A certain % will do this no matter what you do, all you need is a process that you follow that will always get you where you want to go.

Letting him go will allow you to focus on other new opportunities. If he calls back terrific, you stand your ground and tell him you are looking for regular cutting jobs. You assume too much, even with experience, about what an individual is thinking. Don't assume anything, just have a process that treats everyone fairly, including yourself.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He found another lowballer off of Craigs List.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Hoolie above, you may get a judgement, but (a) what did you pay to get that judgement and was it worth it, and (b) if they dont pay what are you going to do about it? We received a judgement and the local d.a. basically told us we'd be lucky to see a nickel. For your sanity, move on and keep trucking...
Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, just dont waste anymore time on this guy. If he wanted you to continue he would have returned your calls, bottom line. Keep it moving and focus your time on clients that are looking for the type of service you provide. This wont be the last time you will have this happen so dont let it worry you.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
he used you, either the lawn was high or his mower was broke or something, but you will never hear from him again. had it happen many times over the years. mow it once or twice and get it back into shape then they either find something stupid to complain about or just call and ssay they gonna do it themselves now.
YEP! True words.