Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2000, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey all. I have a 72 350 in a 78 Chevy 4x4. It has a 750 carter, Edelbroke performer RPM intake, headers, and a big cam, i don't remember the specs off hand. My problem is when I shift into 3rd gear, the truck has absolutly no power. It acts like it just wants to die. When I shift back into second, it's fine again. What gives? Coudl this be a fuel delivery problem? In other words is the carb getting enough fuel or should the ignition be upgraded?<p><p>----------<br>Bill Herz<br>http://members.tripod.com/mopar00
Old 04-19-2000, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Bill, Does it act like its running out of gas? If so check the fuel pump,lines,filters ect. Does it have good power off the line?<br>Let us know.<br>Yort
Old 04-19-2000, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, It sounds like it is either running out of gas or flooding itself. I can't realy tell. Off the line in low threw 2nd, it runs great and has tons of power (my 300 doller motor will light up 33x12.5's in 2nd gear , but right when it gets to 3rd it just has no power. Like i said though, i can't realy tell if it is starving or if its flooded. <br>Thanks<p>----------<br>Bill Herz<br>http://members.tripod.com/mopar00
Old 04-20-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Does the exhaust get really dark? This would indicate a rich running condition. Sounds like its running out of fuel. Check the filter and the pump. Also check the fuel lines for obstuctions or kinks. Keep me informed.
Old 04-21-2000, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, i found the problem. In my rush to throw the truck together and get it running as soon as possible I didn't set the valve lash correctly, and 3 arms were either loose or were not even making contact with the pushrods. Soooooo, when I put them back on and set the lash correctly, wow what a difference those 3 extra cylenders make. Guess that was my itiot move for this week. But, in true fashion when I got that fixed a suprise oil leak reared it's ugly head. I swear that truck hates me. It just wants to die and rest in peace. <p>Thanks for the help though,<br><p>----------<br>Bill Herz<br>http://members.tripod.com/mopar00
Old 04-22-2000, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a truck just like that. I traded a Remote control car for it. Then I found out that it didn't roll forward. Some one left the washer off the pinion in the rear axle. the pinion walked into the ring gear carrier and locked it up. I had to take it apart to pull it home. Then I put a Small block 400 with a 4 bolt main in it. Right away I had problems with the trans and the exhaust system. I like what headers do to the prefomance but they are a real pain. Any way I brought this old beast back to life. It was pretty fast. It was going to get me into trouble. So I sold it and got my 4wd. I do miss it sometimes.
Old 04-23-2000, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Hee hee, I did get everything strait on it, and got the timing set right and got to at least drive my truck. Wow. All I have to say is I am sooooooooo happy I put in a big cam. I have the ol' 3 speed manual with a granny and I can burn teh rear tires in low threw 3rd. hee hee. Tommorow I take it to get some pipes put on it so I can keep some peace in the neighborhood. Oh well, your only young once, right?<br><p>----------<br>Bill Herz<br>http://members.tripod.com/mopar00