Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Mann View Post
When mortar or PL is used to secure the border weep holes must be left to allow water to exit. You can also drill 2-inch holes in the concrete, fill with pea gravel and cover with geo textile

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com
Rex,are you recommending geo textile over the 2" drain hole,or over the entire concrete slab,like I believe I saw you recommend somewhere else? And where are you locating the holes?

For you,what is a proper weep hole?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not a contractor - just a home owner with some real-world experience with this topic that I thought I would share.

We have a front walkway about 23' long. Clay bricks over 1" of stone dust over a cement base. Normal slight pitch away from the house. The bricks were layed against each other with stone dust swept over the top. No geotextile fabric, no weep holes, no expansion joints...nothing. Our soil is only fair drainage - some clay, and no sand. This was installed 19 years ago. I just removed the bricks and sand only because the edges were starting to dip because the plastic edging was installed on top of the dirt, and also because our driveway was paved and I had to raise the paver height.

Bottom line when I looked at the concrete: it was perfect - looked like they just installed it. And this is in Rochester, NY where frost upheaving and harsh winters are the norm.

I'm not saying this installation was done right; in fact, I'm going to use fabric, concrete sand, and poly sand when I put this back together. I just wanted to share some actual experience from a home owner.

Last edited by Flapjack; 06-02-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Consider that only about 1% of rain water actually gets thru the pavers to the subbase. If properly maintained and joints are sanded and patio is pitched right there should be no water reaching that subbase!"........................

Ok what kind of pavers are being put down because there is 4 % of water that a paver will bleed out of water and depending on what kind a grout sand ur using that can be 100% to the sub base...