Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim it worked

Jim,

I did not realize you had sent me a PM until last night. My boss happened to have a small strand of what looked like the wire. We had to go to the nasty lake hydro job and I fed about 100 feet of it into the hydro tube.

We used his 521 and we were having issues picking up the signal from it, but I figured out why. We did not have enough wire to find the valve we were looking for (had a bad diaphragm), but we did find. Once we dug that one up and fixed it we had another. We used the same wire to figure out where the main was going to find the next valve!

My boss was VERY impressed! I think he will be on this site soon...lol

I am going to see if I can find the wire locally, if not I will let you know to see if we can figure out how I can get some.

I attached pics below, you can see the rip in the diaphragm.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

1-1/2" hydraulic valve? I don't see those very often. I'm interested on what kind of wire you used.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Was that direct buried? Most hydraulic sites I ever saw had no valve boxes at all.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
1-1/2" hydraulic valve? I don't see those very often. I'm interested on what kind of wire you used.
Yuppers 1 1/2" Hydraulic Toro valve. I do not know if you can see in the picture, but the roots of a tree were cutting off the flow. Jim said to use piano wire, my boss had wire very similar to it, and I rounded the edge and it worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Was that direct buried? Most hydraulic sites I ever saw had no valve boxes at all.
Close enough to be direct bury. It had one of those old small black Toro caps on PVC on top of it. Probably 4" in diameter, and it was about 8" deep too.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well done Jay....::::tries to figure some way to trip Jim up when he comes north::::
Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
Jim,

I did not realize you had sent me a PM until last night. My boss happened to have a small strand of what looked like the wire. We had to go to the nasty lake hydro job and I fed about 100 feet of it into the hydro tube.

We used his 521 and we were having issues picking up the signal from it, but I figured out why. We did not have enough wire to find the valve we were looking for (had a bad diaphragm), but we did find. Once we dug that one up and fixed it we had another. We used the same wire to figure out where the main was going to find the next valve!

My boss was VERY impressed! I think he will be on this site soon...lol

I am going to see if I can find the wire locally, if not I will let you know to see if we can figure out how I can get some.

I attached pics below, you can see the rip in the diaphragm.
right on, the piano wire is available through gunite pool construction supplies this pic compares the piano wire with masonary string, piano wire is strong and stiff enough to push a long way i usualy have a buddy silver solder a bb on the end to keep from digging into the line, i can't easily find the link.

good for you
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Well done Jay....::::tries to figure some way to trip Jim up when he comes north::::
Thanks Mike I appreciate it! I actually do not believe I will dread going to hydraulic systems anymore.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Mike I appreciate it! I actually do not believe I will dread going to hydraulic systems anymore.
now, when i find something that everyone else has looked for and failed....i do the "go jimmy dance", you can use my ideas....but you gotta make up your own dance

again, congrats
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I actually do not believe I will dread going to hydraulic systems anymore.
I like them but they can be a pain to blow out.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1idejim,your one hell of a good guy! You always help people out & give them pointers on solving problems. I don't know anything about irrigation, but if I was just starting out I would want to learn from all you guys. Jim,Fimco,Mike,Argos,DanaMac,Mitchgo,Wetboots,AI, you guys all kick azz!