Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best 36" hydro mower

Just wanted to get opinions on what you guys think the best 36" hydro mower is. Not to bash my quick 36, but im tired of a clogging deck when I start mowing early if there is still dew on the grass. The quick 36 is a good enough mower for dry conditions it just lags in wet conditions. I dont really think you need a floating deck for a 36" but quick heght adjustment is nice. Lets hear what you guys have to say about it. I just cant take it anymore with all the clogging. I think all mowers will get some buildup in wet conditions but the quick baffles and discharge tunnel will clogg completely up in no time in wet thick grass even while side discharging.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm wondering the same thing. You might want to review this thread from a few days ago that I started: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316673

I see you are in MI and don't know what you have to choose from for dealers - and you didn't say what you wanted to spend or if you needed dual hydro or not. Every dealer I go to doesn't stock 36's because "everybody buys 48's and up.
The Snapper Pro SW20 36 http://www.snapperpro.com/sw20 is a reasonable priced alternative (under $4K) it seems but both Snapper and Ferris have single hyrdos that are cheaper. I have demoed the single and STRONGLY suggest you pass on it if you have any hills/slopes The cut quality was very good.

I kept hearing about deck clogging on the BOP units so I'm glad I did some checking before buying.
Good luck. I'd be interested to hear what you decide -
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.sleequipment.com/store/my...r=&collection=
Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

36" walk-behind

I have owned a 36" Scag hydro and now have a 36" Exmark Turf Tracer hydro walk-behind. Hydro is the only way i would go on a walk-behind period. I have used belt drive units before and there is NO comparison. My Exmark is a great mower.I have the factory mulch kit on it and it does an excellent job mulching grass. I have not used it but for my own personal yard because I thought I needed it but have learned that I still use my Honda push mower on my small stuff. My recommendation is Hydro floating deck Scag or Exmark.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
I have owned a 36" Scag hydro and now have a 36" Exmark Turf Tracer hydro walk-behind. Hydro is the only way i would go on a walk-behind period. I have used belt drive units before and there is NO comparison.
I have never used a hydro walk behind so could you compare for me? I could see a huge advantage in the fact that is has a real reverse but beyond that why is it so much better? I don't find any forearm fatigue with my belt drive.