Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

New guy with an equipment purchase question

I just looked at an Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 HP Kohler Command Pro, 52: TriVantage deck, ROPS, 140 hours on it. Other than being a little dirty it looks like new. The owner bought it in the summer of 2008, but doesn't know if it's an 07 or 08.

I have the serial number...is there someone on this forum that can tell me the year from that? Is that even important on one of these?

I'd like some opinions on what is a fair price for this mower. It'll be my first ZTR and I think it'll be fine for my purposes (residential mowing my property...about 3 acres in upstate NY)

Are there any issues or recalls/modifications that I should be aware of on this unit? It has been serviced at the local Exmark dealer according to the recommended schedule.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Also meant to ask if these have spin on oil filters for the hydro system? I looked but didn't see any.

thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I see a bunch of views on this question, but no replies. Is this question something that you regulars consider to be off-limits for some reason? I've noticed many other users posting similar questions that also go unanswered...is there some unwritten rule that I've violated? I had hoped to find some educated opinions here on things like equipment choices/pricing on used stuff, etc, but maybe there is another forum that is better for that kind of question?

Sorry if I've done something wrong...

thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

assuming that he spin on oil filter is under the seat. It is on mine. Look for the hydro oil tank and follow the lines. As far as the year of man. It should also be on the silver tag that you pulled the serial number off of. If not I do believe that you can look that up on Exmarks website. Year isn't as important as hours in my opinion. I have a Lazer Z with over 3000 hours on it. I am on the second engine and have replaced the spindle bearings twice. Other than that it runs like a dream. With only a hundred hours on that machine it is almost brand new. I would consider it a deal to get it for between 5 to 6 K.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh350 View Post
assuming that he spin on oil filter is under the seat. It is on mine. Look for the hydro oil tank and follow the lines. As far as the year of man. It should also be on the silver tag that you pulled the serial number off of. If not I do believe that you can look that up on Exmarks website. Year isn't as important as hours in my opinion. I have a Lazer Z with over 3000 hours on it. I am on the second engine and have replaced the spindle bearings twice. Other than that it runs like a dream. With only a hundred hours on that machine it is almost brand new. I would consider it a deal to get it for between 5 to 6 K.
Thanks....I did call Exmark and they confirmed that it is an 08 and that the 09 models were redesigned. I'm pretty sure I can get this one for $4000-$4200. Drove it around last night and aside from being dirty (stored outdoors) it looks new. I couldn't make it go straight for more than a few feet, but I guess you get used to that. I like that the engine and exhaust is in the rear as it's quieter than my John Deere tractor.

Looks like I'll go up with cash in hand and see what we can do.

thanks much.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Start off with offering him $3200, and work your way up from there, $4K is not bad for the mower you mentioned if it has low hours and is in pretty good shape.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
Start off with offering him $3200, and work your way up from there, $4K is not bad for the mower you mentioned if it has low hours and is in pretty good shape.
He won't take less than $4K. He bought it locally in July 08 and paid $7500. From what I found online, $4K-$4200 seemed like a good price for a unit with 140 hours on it, but maybe I'm wrong?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a very good price for that unit.

Go to eXmark's web site and download the owners and parts manuals.

Change the hydro filter (it's under the engine deck) with an original filter and refill with eXmark premium hydro oil. Do not use Mobil-1. Charge the hydro filter with oil before installing and it won't take as long to purge the air from the system.

Oldtimer
eXmark dealer since 1994
Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Pics

I bought the trailer in the first picture from the guy for $2000.

The mower cost $3600 and has a little over 10 hours after I ran it for a while.

As for me Well I would have to say I am pretty happy about both purchases.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice mower! I really like that trailer with the tall sides and the side gate, that is really nice.