Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

VAMower, I second everything in your first post. I've been doing this for 5 years now full time and every word is true. I wanted all the customers I could get when I first started out. I didn't care who they were. Now I've started screening customers when I do an est. for them to see if they are a potential PITA. I have a few questions that will root them out. I also started telling customers I'm not the cheapest around and if they want that then I'm not their guy. They will get what they pay for or else the last guy would still be doing their yard.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice thread.

Look forward to reading more.

Thanks for the write up.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I would also like to add that.. "You must know your equipment"... From fixing stuck valves to changing filters and blades. Putting your equipment in the shop isn't cheap and at that point your working with someone else's time. And time is money.. Keep your equipment clean and maintained...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Very good point. Consider taking a class on small engine repair at a community/tech school in the off season. You can only be as reliable as your equipment. Hence the reason why I say not to waste you time and money with used handheld's.

Also, make nice with your local dealer/parts supplier. If you have a good relationship with them they can help you out when your in a bind.

People have argued Stihl vs Echo vs Redmax vs Shindy vs you name it on here for years. Personally I think they are all about the same if you are using their commercial grade equipment. Its best to pick a brand that has a close dealer that you like to work with. It can become a real pain in the A** if you have 4 different brands and have to go to 4 different shops to pick up parts.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw2008 View Post
VAMower, I second everything in your first post. I've been doing this for 5 years now full time and every word is true. I wanted all the customers I could get when I first started out. I didn't care who they were. Now I've started screening customers when I do an est. for them to see if they are a potential PITA. I have a few questions that will root them out. I also started telling customers I'm not the cheapest around and if they want that then I'm not their guy. They will get what they pay for or else the last guy would still be doing their yard.
If you don't mind me asking what kind of questions you have to screen out customers for potential PITA?
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgauvreau View Post
if you don't mind me asking what kind of questions you have to screen out customers for potential pita?
+1

Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Member

"if your currently with a service why would you like an estimate from me?"

Pita says:
1 - The current one won't weed our beds and trim our hedges for free when he mows
2 - The current one won't talk to use for ten minutes each time he is here
3 - The current one is charging $30, can you believe that? That's way too much, I mean its just cutting grass.
4 - The current guy just stopped mowing and won't return my calls. I didn't like him anyway, he wanted to cut weekly, I wanted to call him and tell him when my lawn needs cut.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMower View Post

Pita says:
1 - The current one won't weed our beds and trim our hedges for free when he mows
3 - The current one is charging $30, can you believe that? That's way too much, I mean its just cutting grass.
4 - The current guy just stopped mowing and won't return my calls. I didn't like him anyway, he wanted to cut weekly, I wanted to call him and tell him when my lawn needs cut.

Thank you, that makes sense to me.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMower View Post

Pita says:
Those questions are so specific, that I KNOW you've actually had to heard those stupid statements in your experience.

make me wanna:
Old 05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

A lot of good info in this thread, thank guys. VAMower, that first post was very informative. Thanks for starting this thread, I have been thinking about getting into the business part-time next year. So I am doing some research and trying to educate myself as much as possible before I make my final decision and start upgrading my equipment.