Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2000, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey all. I am new to the business and this site (great site) and was wondering how you get all your accounts. I have business cards and fliers everywhere and the word of mouth method isn't working. Help!!
Old 07-10-2000, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not all areas of the country/world (tip of the hat to Southside) are experiencing shortages of lawn care companies. Word of mouth referals take time to build up. When you are first starting out you will get virtually no word of mouth business. Just do the best job that you can and the work will come to you. While you're waiting for that to happen though keep passing out the flyers and business cards.
Old 07-10-2000, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth is best form of advertising. But like Richard said, virtually none at first. The referrals for estimates are better than other forms of advertising because you have already sold yourself via your work. I tend to bid higher on these referrals and the people always take it. Just be sure to keep the workmanship and quality consistant. Walk around every account when you are done, we call these walk-throughs and always do them. Its easy to miss something when looking down trimming or looking for your mow lines. Pretend you are the customer and its your yard. Just my $.02<p>Other forms of advertising we use are:<p>Yellow pages.<br>Local Papers.<br>Flyers.<br>Business cards.<br>Referral Programs.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 07-10-2000, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I live in a town where the population is 3,000 to 4,000 people and there are other guys out there that have the market. How do I show the homeowners that I can do just as good a job but for less? Have an up front talk? The only downside is I'd have to follow competition and when they are done, talk to homeowner. Can't drive yet so this is a problem. (I'm only 13)
Old 07-11-2000, 04:27 PM

DON'T WORK FOR LESS AND DON'T TRY TO STEAL JOBS FROM THE OTHER GUYS. One thing you can do is hook up with one of the other landscapers in your town and if they have work they don't want ask them to give it to you. instead of undercutting them and stealing jobs from them get a good realation ship with them. They probley turn down work all the time and will throw you what they don't want or can't handle. Don't piss them off.
Old 07-11-2000, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if I'd want to take any of their jobs. 1. They wouldn't give me any job they can't do because in my town, mowing jobs are scarce (pop. 3,000). 2. I wouldn't be able to talk to any of them because they all speak spanish. They charge so much and I charge so little, why can't I get a chance. I haven't gotten a new account in a month and a half because these guys have all the accounts.
Old 07-11-2000, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag48,<br> Try the next town.you may have to travel a little.50% of our work is 45 minutes away from homebase.we enjoy the ride in the morning,drinking coffee and waking up.go where the money is.<br> Nick
Old 07-11-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys- stopping by from the snow plowing side to see the posts.<p>My thoughts are to approach other professionals that do yard work but that do not cross into your field. Tree service outfits (I owned one) usually do not do lawns but are all over the town and chatting up the residents. You could ask them for a &quot;I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine&quot; for referrals. Roofers, evetrough guys, etc can all field the question and set them up with your card. You can figure out how to compensate them or reciprocate to them.<p>Nice web site fellas<p>John of the far North
Old 07-11-2000, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Never try to underbid a job. If one guy is getting $40 a cut, don't do it for any less unless it is a 10 minute job. Even then the market will take that charge. You may get some of these lawns by under bidding, but trust me these are not the accounts you want. It is better to be known as the best, not the cheapest.<p>I am not trying to bash you, don't take it that way. You are just a kid and that's what the customer sees. Get two or three lawns and work on making them look better than all the competitions lawns. Don't expect to knock down 3o great accounts, it ain't going to happen....right now. Learn as much as you can and you will be a better business man at 18.
Old 07-11-2000, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you are licensed properly. When I find out someone isn't , it is off with their head . I turn them in to the dept of revenue. Your competition can't touch you then. Once licensed you can bid on anything.Charge as much as you can . One guy should be able to knock out at least 25$ an hr . and double that when you get a drivers license . Have a min. charge. At least 17$ in your area and that is for a 0-20 minute job. If it is a 2k ft. lawn tough . You still have to waste time getting there. <br> I live in Yakima and put up with the same stagnent economy as you . (Most) People can afford to pay a good price , but here it is a buyers market for lawn service and it seems most guys are out to cut throat. If you don't charge enough you will not be able to repair and upgrade your equipment let alone pay taxes . Do these things and explain to the customer you are legit and not just some scab srewing everybody . You can earn a real nice living for a jr. and high school student and carry that over into paying for college .Just don't dump your customers when you go back to school or you won't see them next year and let's keep those grades up o.k.