Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spraying options

For the gallon can, is that thin enough to use a regular plastic pump spray bottle you buy off the shelf or do you really have to use compressed air and a proper sprayer? I was hoping I'd be able to put some in a plastic spray bottle. I do have the sprayer shipping to me but I don't have a compressor that's convenient to where I'll be using the FF. Although it could be an excuse to buy a small compressor to keep handy
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsagrass View Post
For the gallon can, is that thin enough to use a regular plastic pump spray bottle you buy off the shelf or do you really have to use compressed air and a proper sprayer? I was hoping I'd be able to put some in a plastic spray bottle. I do have the sprayer shipping to me but I don't have a compressor that's convenient to where I'll be using the FF. Although it could be an excuse to buy a small compressor to keep handy
I believe due to Fluid film being the consistency of paint that a pump sprayer will not work. I bought the undercoating gun from Kellsport and the thing works great.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. I'll give it a shot and see what happens anyway. Worst case is I clog up the cheap plastic sprayer and I'll just go ahead and use a brush until I get another compressor. I let my father-in-law have the compressor I used to have at home so at the moment I don't have one at my house...but I do have access to one next door.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsagrass View Post
Ok. I'll give it a shot and see what happens anyway. Worst case is I clog up the cheap plastic sprayer and I'll just go ahead and use a brush until I get another compressor. I let my father-in-law have the compressor I used to have at home so at the moment I don't have one at my house...but I do have access to one next door.
Yeah it might clog, but worth a shot....the brush will work for ya also! Good luck.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We get a lot of questions from users regarding the best way to apply Fluid Film in Bulk. Fluid Film Bulk is similar in viscosity to a latex paint, so we recommend the use of standard airless paint spraying equipment to apply the product.

The use of an undercoating gun is also an effective way to apply Fluid Film. For a very controlled manner of distribution, It could also be brushed or rolled on.

When using an airless paint sprayer, proper tip size is important. In general, the type of material sprayed determines the airless spray tip size. Since Fluid Film is about the viscosity of a latex house paint, a similar tip size is recommended.

There are 3 numbers used to describe a tip size. For example, if a tip size is 515, those numbers refer to both the fan size and the orifice size.

The fan size of a 515 will be 10 inches wide, if sprayed one foot from the surface being sprayed. The first number is always Ĺ the actual fan width. The last 2 numbers refer to the actual size of the orifice. These numbers represent thousandths of an inch, example 515 is .015 inches.

With a constant fan width, a larger orifice size will apply more paint. For example, a 517 would have an orifice of .017 and would apply more paint than a 515. We recommend a tip size of 313 - 515 for applying bulk Fluid Film.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Dumb question: does it come in a spray can ?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name Taken View Post
Dumb question: does it come in a spray can ?
comes in everything from a small brush can, small spray sample can, normal sized spray can, gallon pail, 5 gallon pail and 55 gallon drum
Old 05-24-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
comes in everything from a small brush can, small spray sample can, normal sized spray can, gallon pail, 5 gallon pail and 55 gallon drum
Good answer! lol
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com