Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Hedge trimmer attachment

Went in to a local shop yesterday to look for a trimmer. It's a small shop but the guy had a TBC 230SH and TPH 210 art. hedger, both of which I couldn't find on the tanaka website once I got home. The guy said not many people around these parts are looking for these things and gave me a price a good price if I bought those 2 and the pole saw, tiller and trimmer attachments.

i have a problem with the art. trimmer attachment though, the drive shaft on the attachment is the female end which won't fit into the power source because it's a female end as well. Looks like there may be a intermediate, connecting part missing that connect the attachment and power supply.

Is there some accessory I have to buy or was a part just missing or what?

BTW, the power source looked like it had been there a while and was dusty as hell and had never been started. Put some pre-mix in it and fired up on the 2nd pull. Has a nice sound to it.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by deacondawg; 05-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Sponsor

Tanaka

Hi-
If you bought the TBC-230SF you would need the SF-HT art. hedge trimmer attachment. The TPH-210 is a gear box attachment which is compatible with straight shaft Tanaka trimmers. To attach, you need to take off the trimmer gear box.

http://tanakapowerequipment.com/index.php?section=68

-MW
Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka View Post
Hi-
If you bought the TBC-230SF you would need the SF-HT art. hedge trimmer attachment. The TPH-210 is a gear box attachment which is compatible with straight shaft Tanaka trimmers. To attach, you need to take off the trimmer gear box.

http://tanakapowerequipment.com/index.php?section=68

-MW
So in order to use the hedge trimmer, I am going to have to take the trimmer attachment apart every time I want to use the hedger?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Sponsor

Tanaka

Hi-
No, I would go back to the dealer and exchange the TPH-210 for the TSF-HT.

-MW
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hi-

-MW
He doesn't have any in stock. Is there any way to send the unused TPH 210 back to tanaka to exchange for a TSF-HT and pay the price difference?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, just got off the phone from the dealer again. He had made some calls and found out it was the wrong part and he doesn't have any of the SF-HT's in stock. He doesn't want the TPH-210 back because he's had it a long time and will never sell it. Therefore I will have to pay the full price again for the SF-HT. Is there any way possible to exchange out with Tanaka?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, quick update. The dealer came through and after getting in touch with the distributor, they are going to switch out the TPH-210 for the SF-HT since they are both still current parts. Should have it next week......looking forwartd to trying it out.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hi-

-MW
I picked everything up on Saturday and used the trimmer and hedger for about 8 hours so far. Everything has been impressive so far. The power source had sat on the shelf for around 2 years and fired right up on the second pull. It starts really easy. I was starting it today with just one hand and one pull. I have a still trimmer that takes about 30 pulls to start (gave it away) and a Husqvarna trimmer in which the started cord pull is just horrible. It's also really balanced well and reaches well for me (6'0'' tall). The attachments go on and off nicely and the hedge trimmer went through my hedges like butter. I have no way to test longevity yet but so far, everything is great. I just wish there were more dealers around.

I now have to get the edger attachment. I got rid of the stihl and am selling the Husky.