Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea all I would need is the h1 tag. Pretty much going to use a jeep cherokee and a 6x10 trailer for right now.

Kemco, that is good to hear.Maybe that is possible here in Sevier county. Why does your truck not have commercial tags? Is it not required?

Is there a website where I would be able to find alot of this information? Also here in TN is there a minimum you must make in income to have to file taxes for the business? Some places I read were saying like you had to make over 3K to pay taxes etc
Old 05-17-2010, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

www.seviercountytn.org
www.tn.gov

The state of TN does not require that trailers be registered if it is being used for personal use. If it is used to make money then it needs to be registered for commercial use, as does your vehicle. Although that might not be enforced, it would still be a good idea to do. You never know when someone is going run a red light and broad side you when you have all of your equipment, and you get a citation for improper vehicle registration. Its like insurance; you hate to pay it but you've got to have it: Cost of doing business.

The tag prices I listed earlier where for Rutherford county, so they probably won't be the same where you are.

As for Taxes: TN does not have a state income tax so its just federal taxes you have to deal with. Since you are operating as a sole prop. the business will not have to file a tax return. all money made it considered your personal income. I would highly recommend that you talk to a CPA about your tax questions. If you can find a good one they are worth their weight in gold.
Redmax BCZ2401S
Echo PB-251
Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh thank you for the information.

Here my one prolblem. I want to do everything right like getting licensed and getting insured but the vehicle I will be using for temporary is my dads. The vehicle is registered in his name and right at this moment I dont even know how far I will be able to get in this business or whether I will be successful.

How long do you think I can get away with not having the vehicle with a commercial tag? Im not going to be displaying any signs on the vehicle or trailer for now and basically this year is going to be slow anyways since I am just getting started. The mowing season is already 2 months in about.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Until you get caught. That could be next week or years down the road.
Redmax BCZ2401S
Echo PB-251
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I guess but how are they going to know I am operating a business?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another stupid question. I was trying to register for my business online, and it asks what type of tax is my business liable for? What type tax am I liable for?