Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Super Recycler vs. Toro Commerical 21

What would you do if you were in my shoes? I just started and have only 3 small lawns to cut weekly. My POS Yard Machine is dead and I can't decide between the SR and the commercial. I know the differences between the two, but am having problems justifying $1200 vs $500 for the SR. Not to mention the warranties, 1 yr vs 5 yr. Do you think I could get 3 yrs or more from the SR and then hopefully upgrade to something bigger?

I want to grow my business, but want to grow slow enough until I can justify a nice WB.

What would you do?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the Toro Super Recycler. Have had it for 4-5 years and have had minimal problems. For what you have right now it will be just fine. If you were cutting 15-20 per week the commercial unit would be better.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastruck04 View Post
What would you do if you were in my shoes? I just started and have only 3 small lawns to cut weekly. My POS Yard Machine is dead and I can't decide between the SR and the commercial. I know the differences between the two, but am having problems justifying $1200 vs $500 for the SR. Not to mention the warranties, 1 yr vs 5 yr. Do you think I could get 3 yrs or more from the SR and then hopefully upgrade to something bigger?

I want to grow my business, but want to grow slow enough until I can justify a nice WB.

What would you do?
If you want to only do 3-5 lots per week, you'll be alright with the super recycler. It's a good mower and mulches very well. The only thing I do not like is the personal pace transmission. When I had a toro pt21 with the same tranny, the tranny always seemed to get stuck and had no strength when going up hills or bagging. The commercial 21" toro is a marvelous machine. That's the one with the 3 speed tranny and either the Kawasaki or Honda engines on it. One of the best units ever made. You won't go wrong with either unit. Just ask yourself. Will I make enough money this year to justify the cost of the commercial unit? If the answer is yes, then go for it. If it's no, then use the super recyler for now and when your business grows, you can always upgrade. Another alternative may be to check dealers or craigs list for a used toro commercial unit. You will find ones in good shape at times. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just went and looked at the Toro Commercial with Kawi engine for $895. Looks very good to me. It is not $1100. I am eyeing on this one since the Ariens LM21SW is not available in Kalifornia!!!!

The Toro commercial is the lightest commercial mower period. To me that is really important for daily use. I was told it's a belt drive which is cheaper to maintain. ( not very knowledgable in mower, just what the salesman told me).
Old 05-15-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Snapper makes a hi-vac that's $599. It's considered a residential model, but it's really heavy duty. It has solid steel axles, heavy deck, the self propel is unstoppable (belt driven), and a really big bag. You can set it up within seconds to discharge or bag. If you want to mulch, you can put a mulch blade on it. I run one and it's been really good.

I'm in your shoes, I've been in business for one month, and had a hard time justifying the cost of a commercial, especially if you buy or want new. I looked at some used ones and they were really beat up.

I've been very pleased with the snapper and recommend it.

http://www.wisesales.com/snapper_p217020b.html
Stihl FS 100RX Trimmer
Stihl KM 90 with attachments
Kawasaki Edger
Stihl BG 55 Blower
Stihl FS 45 Hedge Trimmers
Beautiful supportive wife
Lots of Motivation
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I just went and looked at the Toro Commercial with Kawi engine for $895. Looks very good to me. It is not $1100. I am eyeing on this one since the Ariens LM21SW is not available in Kalifornia!!!!

The Toro commercial is the lightest commercial mower period. To me that is really important for daily use. I was told it's a belt drive which is cheaper to maintain. ( not very knowledgable in mower, just what the salesman told me).
Where did you find it for $895? Please share.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The commercial 21" toro is a marvelous machine.
Which one? They make several different models of commercial 21" mowers.

Here's the Hi-Vac model for example:

http://www.toro.com/intl/us_es/profe...vac/22189.html
Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
Which one? They make several different models of commercial 21" mowers.

Here's the Hi-Vac model for example:

http://www.toro.com/intl/us_es/profe...vac/22189.html
Hi-vac model is good for bagging but not mulching. Any of the other proline models with the 3 speed tranny are the ones to get.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, if you only have 3 accounts it would be hard to justify spending $1200 on a mower, especially a push mower. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even spend $500 on one for that amount of work. Go get a few from a garage sale for like $30 each, fix them up and use them until you can start to make money and can afford a nice one. It just doesn't make sense to buy something that expensive, when you aren't going to use it more than 10 hours a week.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 05-16-2010, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastruck04 View Post
Where did you find it for $895? Please share.
In the dealer today, I was just shopping for the pole saw attachment and I happened to look at that for future replacement of my dumpy mower. It is a personal paste, with thick cast aluminum deck. I am no expert on mower......yet!!! I know it is the lowest model which is under 100 lbs. It is with the Kawi FJ180 with no filter. So it is not exactly the heavy duty professional model.