Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My Speedfeed jammed up yesterday?

I was using the trimmer and bumped for more line and noticed only one line was out, the other was back in the head? I have no idea how this happened, however it did happen as I was trimming, but i opened it up and corrected it. anyone else ever have this happen? I didnt think this could happen with the speedfeed?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it possible that you let the line get too short before advancing? We have had that issue with one of our guys before. He would let the line get almost to the head before advancing. I have gotten to the point where I listen to the pitch of the engine to determine when I need to advance. It will drastically speed up when the line is getting short.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I've had that problem with my speedfeed several times. I agree with robertsturf's post. You just have to pay attention to how the motor is reving to know when the line is getting too short. I've noticed with smaller line, it jams up more frequently than with thicker line. The smaller line tends to also melt together and cause it to not advance.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No, I didnt let it get too short, it happened all the sudden? I had about 6" of line on both sides and all the sudden, it sounded different, so I stop and see only one line, I took the top half off and the other end was stuck in there, the line in the lower section, had pinched itself and wouldnt let any more advance, a good yank freed it though, I had this happen with regular trimmer heads too.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you didn't let the line get to short, the line must have had a weak spot and broke off. That's going to happen occasionally with any trimmer head.

Mike
Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't wind it tight. When you start to feel the head getting tight loading it you have to much. If it wasn't that it must have broke off from a weak spot in the line.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

one more peace of advise... When wrapping your string around try to keep it nice and neat this will help alot when bumping to advance more string out... Alot of times if you have it wrapped over lapping alot and just looking all crazy in there .. Keep it tight too because when you bump it to get more and maybe you dont have the string tight it will back up into the head.. Just a few ideas for you
Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You sure it is not one piece got cut off when you hit something during trimming? It happened to me many time with my Honda trimmer. I used to have to trimmer tall weeds. When I accidentally hit a fense post or a brick, sometimes one side just cut off and I have to open the head to rewind and put it back. I thought this is common..........but I also a lousy trimmer too!!! I don't know how many of those sticked in solar lights I cut down!!!!