Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Any ideas my toro 36 hydro is leaving long pieces of grass

The grass is not being mulched at all. I can mow a strip and the strip I just mowed next to me will be covered with clippings. I have adjusted the baffle. I have sharpened the blades and the cut is very clean. I have triple cut some lawns and there are still a lot of clippings. What should I do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2010, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like normal grass to me, heavy spring growth. I wouldn't waste time triple mowing, just blow it out with a backpack blower.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

It was not leaving this many clippings a couple weeks ago on the same lawns. Way to much to blow out. I have had to rake some lawns there is so much clippings left. Has to be something else!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's just how it is. Rake, what's a rake? No way you should be raking clippings. Cut it a second time quick or bag it or blow it. Or raise the deck up a notch. Raise your discharge chute up. Lots of things you can do but raking shouldn't be one of them.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
It's just how it is. Rake, what's a rake? No way you should be raking clippings. Cut it a second time quick or bag it or blow it. Or raise the deck up a notch. Raise your discharge chute up. Lots of things you can do but raking shouldn't be one of them.
There is way to much grass to just blow around and how do you explain the same lawn and height of grass that was previously used to be cut without tons of clippings. I have the baffle set on thick grass. I will try to raise the deck. I will need to get some more washers to raise it more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe now would be a good time to sit down and have that talk with your mower.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just realized you've had some wet conditions lately, so the grass is likely long and lush. The answer is probably that the density of the grass has increased and it's long and staying damp.

It does sound like you need to raise your cutting height until you can get on top of things. Just going up a half inch or so can make a big difference. Less grass cut off and more places for the clippings to "hide". If you don't have a grass catcher, you should pick one up too. Not necessarily to bag the whole lawn, but just to pick up any particularly heavy areas. What I do is try to mow those areas first and then let the grass sit on top and dry while I do the rest of the lawn. It's amazing how much it will dry out in just 15 or 20 minutes.

Are you running with your discharge chute down? You'll see that most LCOs have them up or entirely off their machines. You'll get way better dispersal of clippings that way. Another thing you may want to consider is running double blades. I do that from time to time for difficult conditions. Also, are you running high lift blades with an air foil on top? You should be.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

uummmm. you re cutting grass. that s what happens. Maybe try not turning your blades on. That might help.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I just realized you've had some wet conditions lately, so the grass is likely long and lush. The answer is probably that the density of the grass has increased and it's long and staying damp.

It does sound like you need to raise your cutting height until you can get on top of things. Just going up a half inch or so can make a big difference. Less grass cut off and more places for the clippings to "hide". If you don't have a grass catcher, you should pick one up too. Not necessarily to bag the whole lawn, but just to pick up any particularly heavy areas. What I do is try to mow those areas first and then let the grass sit on top and dry while I do the rest of the lawn. It's amazing how much it will dry out in just 15 or 20 minutes.

Are you running with your discharge chute down? You'll see that most LCOs have them up or entirely off their machines. You'll get way better dispersal of clippings that way. Another thing you may want to consider is running double blades. I do that from time to time for difficult conditions. Also, are you running high lift blades with an air foil on top? You should be.
Thanks for the info! I don't have a bagger but I have been considering getting one and I think I will. I recently sharpened my blades. The cut looks great but could that in any way effect how the clippings are cut up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
uummmm. you re cutting grass. that s what happens. Maybe try not turning your blades on. That might help.
Wow thanks! Great idea! Why don't you try jumping of a bridge. That will be a better place than anywhere for someone like you. If you don't have something useful to say than STFU!!
Posted via Mobile Device