Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Judges in criminal courts can order repayment just like any civil judge. It happens all the time and it is usually part of the plea agreement to keep the suspect out of jail. If they do jail time then they can not make them repay because jail time is part of working their debit off.

The key to all of this is to NEVER NEVER NEVER pay anyone full amount before any work is ever done. And if money is put down dont do more then 25% (thats my rule) and NEVER pay in cash. We can prevent 90% of this stuff from happening if we just quit being such suckers. If I am paying anyone with my money, I always ask to see their ID. Any legit person would not mine me getting their name or OLN number if they are working for me.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can get a judgment and serve time... look at Madoff LOL.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Does anyone know if King Lawn and Snow out of Northville, MI is legit? I hired them to do some lawn mowing, paid them up front to save 20%, plus the contract says I get free snow removal next season as part of it, and they haven't come out to mow the yard in 2 weeks and won't return any of our calls. Anyone else have a similar experience?
akp sorry to hear that. Yes we know about the guy and he is a scam. We wish we could do something about him and people like him but we can't. Only you the customers can.

Please next time it sounds to good to be true it probably is, plus it is dangerous. Here in Michigan if a contractor gets hurt working on your property he can actually sue you if he is not properly insured. It costs alot of money to run a business properly so any price that just seems to cheap might end up costing you a lot in the end.

I am sure there is a legit company in your area that would be happy to help you out. I will link this to our group.

Good luck!
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You can get a judgment and serve time... look at Madoff LOL.
I know this is off topic....But thanks to Madoff we picked up a super sweet account from the lawyers in charge of a house that was taken over from one of his buddies that was in cahoots. Not everyone got screwed by him. We proffitted!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
akp sorry to hear that. Yes we know about the guy and he is a scam. We wish we could do something about him and people like him but we can't. Only you the customers can.

Please next time it sounds to good to be true it probably is, plus it is dangerous. Here in Michigan if a contractor gets hurt working on your property he can actually sue you if he is not properly insured. It costs alot of money to run a business properly so any price that just seems to cheap might end up costing you a lot in the end.

I am sure there is a legit company in your area that would be happy to help you out. I will link this to our group.

Good luck!
Why are people so eager to pay up front for a bad deal? Stupid Stupid Stupid! This will set us back another 20 years.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn and Snow King Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Does anyone know if King Lawn and Snow out of Northville, MI is legit? I hired them to do some lawn mowing, paid them up front to save 20%, plus the contract says I get free snow removal next season as part of it, and they haven't come out to mow the yard in 2 weeks and won't return any of our calls. Anyone else have a similar experience?
They scammed me also. They cut (chopped up) my lawn 3 times. Will not return a phone call. The business address is a mailbox at a UPS store in Northville.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear. Makes you wonder what it takes to nail these guys.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just curious akp, how much did you pay them upfront? and what kind of trucks did they have when they came to your house? I think I may have seen them around here, not sure though, did they have a logo or anything on the trailer/ truck? It sounds like they had all this planned out, advertise the hell outta lots of areas, collect upfront fees, since everyone will jump on the 20% savings, then mow it a few times, and get the hell out of dodge with all the money, Im just surprised they mowed it more than one time! I personally would NOT contact the police or local DA, instead maybe go to a private security/investigations company, and/or ALL the local news stations and get them to run a story about it a few times per week, and put it on their websites. The local police likely wont be interested and probably blow you off, you will have better luck with a private investigation firm. I bet anything this scam artist got away with thousands, if not millions of dollars and is probably living it up in the bahamas right now!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
Just curious akp, how much did you pay them upfront? and what kind of trucks did they have when they came to your house? I think I may have seen them around here, not sure though, did they have a logo or anything on the trailer/ truck? It sounds like they had all this planned out, advertise the hell outta lots of areas, collect upfront fees, since everyone will jump on the 20% savings, then mow it a few times, and get the hell out of dodge with all the money, Im just surprised they mowed it more than one time! I personally would NOT contact the police or local DA, instead maybe go to a private security/investigations company, and/or ALL the local news stations and get them to run a story about it a few times per week, and put it on their websites. The local police likely wont be interested and probably blow you off, you will have better luck with a private investigation firm. I bet anything this scam artist got away with thousands, if not millions of dollars and is probably living it up in the bahamas right now!
No, last reported sighting I heard about was in a caravan with push mowers.

With their prices even if they just cut it a few times it equals out to what a normal operation would charge so I don't think they a making a killing.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, if they are asking for payment up front from everyone, then who knows how many people have paid them this? although I would think most people would be smarter than to give someone 100% upfront before any work is done? So they are clearly mis-representing themselves if they are using a minivan to haul their push mowers around! This could be a well planned out scam that involves many states, and if they dont have any real mowers or equipment, then they have zero overhead.

Tags
king , lawn , scam , snow