Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting up :)

Hey guys, I'm 15 and have been doing yards on and off for two years now. I used to make decent money, but being a teenager I kinda quit with it. But now im ready to get back into it! Not this summer, but next summer. I was kinda inspired by one of my friends that is only 14 and has about 25 accounts, not to bad IMO. Anyhow I've got a few questions, first about the mower. Ive found a used toro walk behind, with a sulky and 52 inch deck for 1200. Would it be more beneficial for me to try to geta used walk behind, or save up for a zero turn? I guess personal preference more so. Also I have questions about the legal part, like, do I need insurance if I only have about 20-30 accounts?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The type of mower you buy is a factor of personal preference, the type of yards you do and the depth of your pocket book. In my area I deal with everything from 5k SF unmaintained properties to 5 acre meticulously groomed estates. That makes equipment selection difficult. I'm turning down a little work, because I haven't bought big mowers yet, but what I have can handle a moderate amount of work on yards up to about 3/4 acre. Beyond that I'm pushing it. I have a friend that has over 400 accounts, but none of them over 10K sf. He runs 21's exclusively and replaces them every year.

Insurance is the transferring of risk. You need insurance if you do not want to or can't take the cost of damages caused by you out of your pocket. You are transferring some of that risk to an insurance company, and their premiums are their payment for assuming that risk. Some clients will not do business with you unless you have insurance or post a very large bond that proves that you have the ability to pay a large damage settlement.

I hope that helps some
Mike
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

ALWAYS carry insurance - well worth the cost!

Naples, FL
(239) 200-0600
swlfloridatreecare@live.com
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

a minor CANT ENTER INTO A CONTRACT
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
a minor CANT ENTER INTO A CONTRACT
Although I don't understand what this has to do with anything pertaining to the original post or anything else posted, a minor most certainly can enter in to a contract.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del9175 View Post
Although I don't understand what this has to do with anything pertaining to the original post or anything else posted, a minor most certainly can enter in to a contract.
No, a minor can't sign a contract without a legal guardian, the insurance will not be valid for a child...etc...

In the old days it was differnent, but now in the age of the lawsuit the homeowner is at risk.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraCutter View Post
No, a minor can't sign a contract without a legal guardian, the insurance will not be valid for a child...etc...

In the old days it was differnent, but now in the age of the lawsuit the homeowner is at risk.

I didn't realize he was talking about insurance and that may be the case that a minor may not be able to obtain insurance on his own but if he does in fact need the signature of his legal guardian and can get it then he has the insurance. I however thought he was talking about the simple agreement or contract between two people in regards to lawn mowing. A minor can enter into a contract like that with out any parental/guardian consent.