Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Question about AIR FILTERS

Ok, here's my question

Last year i bought a new filter for my push mower (foam type, not paper)

I was just reading on the back of the box, and it said that when it's new, or you clean it, to put some motor oil (sae 30, 10w-30,etc) on it, let it soak in, work it the filter around with your fingers, and squeeze it out. It said that the filter will catch big stuff, but the oil will catch all the fine stuff, like sand,dust, or anything small that slips thru it. So i followed the instructions and did it.

I pulled out the manual for my weedeater, and it said that when you clean it, just to put it back in. The filter for it is also foam. It didn't say anything about oil. so i went ahead and just put some oil on its filter.

We'll the lawn mower didn't seem to care, it just chugged on like it was nothing.

After a few months, the weedeater went outta adjustment. It ran good for awhile, then it started acting up. When it was idling up to half throttle it would run good. go any past that and the motor would bog down, and then die. If you put the choke up on half way, it would run good. So i just limped thru with it like that for the rest of the year. went today and had the carb adjusted, and it works good now.

I normally pulled the filters and cleaned them every month. religiously, i would clean them every 1st of the month. i would just wash them, let them dry, then re-install. any loose grass could just be simply blown off with your mouth, or just wiped off. but i noticed that when i was using oil, grass and all kinda stuff was sticking to the filter, and the housing where the filter sets, on the weedeater, would be caked with grass and oil. Normally i would just knock it on a board and all the grass would come out. With the oil, i would have to take an air compressor and a toothbrush to scrub every little bit of oil and dust outta it.

On the lawn mower, the whole metal housing, and top the tank, i guess where the oil dripped thru, would also be caked with oil. I would also have to take a compressor and toothbrush to scrub it out.

My question is, do you think the oil getting sucked inside the carb was the reason the weedeater got screwed up? I know 2 cycle oil naturally goes inside the carb, but motor oil is thicker

my other question is, is it REALLY necessary to oil the filters? It got a nuisance scrubbing all the oil soaked grass off of everything. I'm needing to clean the filters off for the first time this year, and i'm just curious, do i really need to oil them?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

NOT really. Weedeaters don't need to oil. Some mowers say to oil. When I oil em' I wring it out by hand then blot it between some paper towels or CLEAN rags. Too much oil and you can ruin the paper filter!

......AMF!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for replying.

The lawn mower is an old 3.0 or 3.5 HP (can't remember) classic briggs and stratton. The filter i bought was just an generic off the wall,ish brand filter that had ACE stamped on the container. I don't have the manual for the lawn mower, it's so old and i got it second hand, but it said it on the filter package. So do you figure i could get by, by NOT using oil on it?

Just rechecked the manual for the weedeater just to be sure and it didn't say anything about oiling.

Though i don't always follow the manual to the T, on somethings. It says to let it idle 2-3 minutes before you use it (i'll just let it warm up by resting the shaft on my knee, with the head in the air and giving just a little gas at half choke for about10-15 seconds, then flip choke off and still hold the throttle in just a bit for about 20-30 seconds, then start into cutting, but really slow, and gradually speed up the throttle as the engine warms up, eventually coming to full throttle) it says to let it idle for about 2 minutes before you shut it off (i've always just shut it off when i'm done) every 10 hours to pull and clean the plugs (i just change em every year) every 75 hours, change the fuel filter (mine still has the original) every 150 hours to pull the exhaust and clean it, the spark arrester and the exhaust port of any carbon (only did this once and i've had it for about 4-5 years now)

So i don't always follow everything in it, but something like this i'm just curious about.

again, thanks for the time to reply.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

and what kinda oil can you use?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get ya an owners manual here...you need it! http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support

......AMF!