Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Converting 19hp Kaw 601v to a 25hp

I purchased a new Wright Stander 19hp Kawasaki 601V. There was an out of state deal on this brand new unit that I couldn't pass up. My dilema is that I need 25hp.

From a reliable source I was told that the 19 - 21 - 23 - 25 hp models are identical with the exception of the carburation jetting. I phoned Kawasaki. Too say they were tight lipped was an understatement.

Has anyone made this jetting conversion? I was also thinking about putting on the canister filter upgrade.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a difference in the carb butterfly opening.
The easiest and most reliable way to do this is to buy a new 25 HP carb.
The hard way is to grind to butterfly stop in the carb venturi. I am not sure you actually have to change the jets. They may be the same.
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm all for simplicity, so getting a 25 hp carb sounds fine. Is there a web site you might recommend for the item?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you put the canister-style air filter on you need to change out the jets also.
Just something to be aware of.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrep12 View Post
I purchased a new Wright Stander 19hp Kawasaki 601V. There was an out of state deal on this brand new unit that I couldn't pass up. My dilema is that I need 25hp.

From a reliable source I was told that the 19 - 21 - 23 - 25 hp models are identical with the exception of the carburation jetting. I phoned Kawasaki. Too say they were tight lipped was an understatement.

Has anyone made this jetting conversion? I was also thinking about putting on the canister filter upgrade.
buy the 25 HP carb and swap them
Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler used to have identical engines with different hp, and the way they did it was a higher compression ratio for the higher hp, that is, the higher hp had the head milled a little more right from the factory. For me it is hard to believe that a change in carburetion alone can yield a 32% increase in hp, but I'm no expert, just skeptical. But if it will, that is fantastic to know.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ray View Post
Kohler used to have identical engines with different hp, and the way they did it was a higher compression ratio for the higher hp, that is, the higher hp had the head milled a little more right from the factory. For me it is hard to believe that a change in carburetion alone can yield a 32% increase in hp, but I'm no expert, just skeptical. But if it will, that is fantastic to know.
I'm even more skeptical about the same engine having more torque by putting on a bigger carb.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ray View Post
That's my opinion too. "If it sounds too good to be true.............etc." And if you do change the carburetor, I have to wonder if you will test or even be capable of testing the result to confirm that you really do get up to 25HP. I have an idea you'll be wasting both your time and money if you try this.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

It seems very unlikely that you can get that much hp with a carb change. I will check it out at work on Monday. I know there are at least three different head gaskets available with different diameters, so there must be different bores.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This issue as been discussed at length on this forum. Just do a search and you'll find a few treads about this.
The only difference in parts numbers on the Kaws 19-25 HP is the carburetor.
If you are unsure, check the parts numbers yourself is the parts catalog for these engines.
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...