Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be adding the oil cooler for sure, just kind of confused about the main jet, multiples are listed for the different hp ratings on partstree A,B,C,D,E etc., I'm wondering what the differences are in them? Maybe just for different altitudes, they do have a # with ft after most of them. I think I'll just do it and pull the plugs after a few hours to see what they look like.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Good idea - I'll pull out mine next oil change to see what we have....
Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhorse View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, I want to do this to my Scag Tiger cub that has the FH601v-ds29 but I see that there are multiple main jets listed.... even for the ds22 in the thread. Isn't there a chance of running too lean by changing the shaft out to the one for the fh721v and not having the correct main jet? I just don't want to cook my engine for the sake of a few more hp if that could happen.
To bad you did'nt post two weeks ago I just put a new 25hp carb on my 19hp.The old carb had a bad float valve seat and would not stop gas flow.I would have dropped the float bowl and checked.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

You know if the two carbs do have different main jets (and throttle shafts of course) and you didn't want to take any chances you could change out the whole carb for around $300 or so and keep the old one as a spare, it's still probably cheaper this way than paying the extra markup at the dealer for basically the same result. Oh yea - & I bought that overpriced 25hp sticker for mine also besides swapping shafts =)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I have a related question to this thread. My engine is tagged as an FH601V-BS28-R

On all the parts sites it always skips from BS27 to BS29 for the 601. For the others, BS28 is listed.

I didn't see any difference between BS29 and BS27 related to the shaft part#, so I figure it should work for me. Any thoughts on this?

Also, has anyone actually confirmed or not any difference in jets?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I installed everything and all seems well, I'm about 99% sure the jets are the same. What a differnce in power when I get into thick stuff, no more bogging down at 2 mph and then having to go back over it anyway!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhorse View Post
I installed everything and all seems well, I'm about 99% sure the jets are the same. What a differnce in power when I get into thick stuff, no more bogging down at 2 mph and then having to go back over it anyway!
Posted via Mobile Device
Greyhorse

did you install the shaft for 721 then?

Cheers
duckwood
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I've read this thread awhile back and was ready to do this upgrade when I realized I think this only works for engines that already the heavy duty/donaldson type air filters. It looks like the jets in my fh601v-as21 would all need to be upgraded compared to the fh721v-as21. DEVISTATING!!!!

Would it be worth upgrading to the donaldson style filter and buying new jets? It would probably be over $350 in parts, but it would be 6hp.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Steve
Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stankers View Post
I've read this thread awhile back and was ready to do this upgrade when I realized I think this only works for engines that already the heavy duty/donaldson type air filters. It looks like the jets in my fh601v-as21 would all need to be upgraded compared to the fh721v-as21. DEVISTATING!!!!

Would it be worth upgrading to the donaldson style filter and buying new jets? It would probably be over $350 in parts, but it would be 6hp.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Steve
No need for the Donaldson air filter though it would be nice to have.The only diff.is the throttle shaft and oil cooler.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsnipe View Post
No need for the Donaldson air filter though it would be nice to have.The only diff.is the throttle shaft and oil cooler.
Thats what I thougt, but after comparing model numbers they have different injectors. It must have something to do with the amount of air that the donaldson style filter pulls.
Posted via Mobile Device