Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing your missin is the 25 hp sticker
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a john deere 667 with a 23hp kaw and want to do the up grade also and i notice when i hold the throttle shaft it opens all the way i thought the butterflys dont go all the way vertical am i missing something
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/28hp John Deere 757 zero turn
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22"/6.5hp Honda HRT216 push
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Had my shop order the parts for this upgrade. Having it done next week to my FH680V (23 to 25hp). Hope this helps on the rider with this thick growth and the E-Z Vac.
6.5 x 12 Single Open Trailer
2011 24/52" Toro Grandstand
2007 Toro 23/52" Z Master Z453 w/E-Z Vac
21" Craftsman Push
Echo SRM-260 Line Trimmer
Stihl KM 110R Kombi w/multiple attachments
Stihl BR-600 Backpack Blower
Echo HC-165 24" Hedge Trimmer
Echo HC-1500 20" Hedge Trimmer
Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Got Shaft - Won't fit

I have a FH601v-DS22 and in the process of upgrading the carb shaft to 25hp. The carb is completely off and the old shaft is removed only to find that the new shaft Part # 16041-7025 is too thick to slide into place. The old shaft is .270" diameter and the new one is 0.275" in diameter.
Are there raceways or sleeves that need removing?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog123 View Post
I have a FH601v-DS22 and in the process of upgrading the carb shaft to 25hp. The carb is completely off and the old shaft is removed only to find that the new shaft Part # 16041-7025 is too thick to slide into place. The old shaft is .270" diameter and the new one is 0.275" in diameter.
Are there raceways or sleeves that need removing?

Thanks
Well, something told me to double check part numbers and then to double check my engine plate. Its a AS22 series and needs a Part # 16041-7014. My bad.
Guess I will need to send this one back to M&D or does anyone want one immediately.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

3400 rpm ? I ran mine for the first time today with the tach. Idle was ok at 550-575 but i have to idle it down from 600 by hand at the throttle shaft. What surprised me by this post is i'm only at 1800rpm at full throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbegap View Post
Finneylawns,

IMHO I don't think you are realizing the full benefit of the upgrade unless you adjust the governor. One side of the shaft is to touch on the idle adjustment screw, and the other is a fixed point that stops the shaft from rotating. You are changing the non-adjustable side with a new shaft or cutting. There are two things that limit the opening ofy the butterflies. The first is the shaft that you can either replace or trim/cut so that the shaft rotates more allowing the butterflies to open more (you just fixed this issue). The second is the governor. The governor linkage etc. has a fixed length shaft coming off of it that goes up to the carb shaft you just replaced/cut. My governor was set in relation to the old shaft. So at max load, the governor would open the butterflies to the old max position (barely open, 19HP). If the governor opens to the same old spot, that is now not far enough because you have changed the stopping point of where the shaft needs to travel. I guess you could get lucky, but I had to adjust mine. There is no adjustment on the little itty bitty shaft between the governor arm and the carb. There is no adjustment on the carb, so that leaves the governor arm position in relation to the shaft coming out of the block. With everything reassembled, I loosened the nut that tightens the governor arm to the shaft coming out of the block just enough so that it would move on the shaft. Then I pushed up on the arm, which in turn slid on the shaft counter clockwise until the rod pushed the shaft to the new stop position. I tightened everything up and that was that. Fast RPMs are adjusted by loosening the two screws and moving the entire assembly up and down. Low idle has the adjusting screw that I get at through the air cleaner mounting plate. You can make the shaft open more, increasing fast rpm, by pushing the plate up, which pulls up on the spring that hooks to the middle of the arm allowing faster RPM at WOT. If at wide open there is no more travel in the arm, the butterflies will not open all the way and not increase the air/fuel quantities and not improve HP. This is at least the way I understand it. I am not a certified mechanic or anything so there is my disclaimer. YMMV. My experience is that my mower doesn’t sound different, go any faster or do anything different until I get into some deep thick grass and then you hear it buckle down and really open up. Before tall grass would start to come out in balls and then eventually puke (when wet). Now it comes out in a solid sheet of grass. I can still go too fast and outpace what the deck can handle which will leave a bad cut, but the motor doesn’t bog down and loose the RPMs and the discharge is more constant. I have yet to have to double cut a yard like I have in the past.

You may be realizing better fuel consumption because you changed your high idle RPM. If you didn’t set it as high this time around, you get better economy. Most companies ship mowers around the 3300-3400 RPMs for economy and longevity. 3600 is a popular number but increases fuel consumption. Otherwise it is counter intuitive that you would be introducing more air and fuel and have fuel consumption decrease.

Last edited by User Name Taken; 04-05-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

First time I have heard of that problem.When I did mine I changed the whole carb because of another problem.You mite check your throttle cable install.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

New guy here... Just read this thread and immediately ordered all the parts to make my 19 hp FH601V a 25 hp. I just bought a gently used Country Clipper Jazee Pro and am excited to boost the power. I've got all the parts coming for the oil cooler addition and plan to Dremel the throttle shaft rather than replace it. Only thing that concerns me is the governor adjustment, but I'll read this thread again and study the shop manual. The Jazee already rocks, this should be icing on the cake.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Part #59071-7009 Joint has been discontinued by Kawasaki. Anyone have a lead? Most websites will show the part number and let you order it, but a week later you call and find out its not in stock and not available. Need to find a dealer that has NOS.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would I be able to up the HP on my FH580V? All of this confused me
Posted via Mobile Device