Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 PM
clif's Avatar
clif clif is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gramercy, Louisiana
Posts: 135
***Just a note to everyone interested in this conversion to increase your hp on your engine, my brother in law just purchased a new mower and he spoke to the the mechanic there, the dealer's mechanic advised that this conversion certainly will work, just be aware it would void your warranty, (which in my case, mine is already expired so it doesn't matter.) Something to consider if your mower is brand new.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
underPSI underPSI is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 234
It would only void the warranty if you tell the mechanic about the modification. I doubt you'll ever come across a small engine mechanic who is sharp enough to detect the small difference in the throttle shaft!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
clif's Avatar
clif clif is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gramercy, Louisiana
Posts: 135
...............................

Last edited by clif; 05-25-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: replied already
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
clif's Avatar
clif clif is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gramercy, Louisiana
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
It would only void the warranty if you tell the mechanic about the modification. I doubt you'll ever come across a small engine mechanic who is sharp enough to detect the small difference in the throttle shaft!
Exactly! lol
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Chris "Greenville"'s Avatar
Chris "Greenville" Chris "Greenville" is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Greenville, IN
Posts: 70
Pictures..we need pictures of the conversion.. I'd like to see the parts that you are adding. I have the 19 hp Kawi on my Mini Z. I'm looking at the up grade as soon as the Warranty is through. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 AM
dennys-lawn's Avatar
dennys-lawn dennys-lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TUPELO, MS
Posts: 135
I spoke to my repair shop people today and asked about the up grade. He said the carb swap would work but said you need to change the fly wheel so the timing would be right. Makes since. He said other wise you would be dumping more gas in but the timing would be off. Any thoughts?
__________________
1x -05' 60"X-Mark "Lazer Z xs"
1x -03' 48" Cub Cadet Tank
1x -04' 48" Cub Cadet Tank
1x -21" Snapper Push mower
3x -BR600 Stihl Backpack Blower
1x -BR340 Stihl Backpack Blower
2x -FS85 Stihl Trimmer
1x -FS90 Stihl Trimmer
1x -FS110 Stihl Trimmer Split Shaft
1x -MS250 Stihl Chain Saw
1x -HT101 Stihl Pole Saw
1x -HS45 Stihl Hedge Trimmer
1x -HS81T Stihl Hedge Trimmer
1x -Billy Goat Vac
1x -Turfco Meter Matic F-15 Topp Dresser
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 AM
clif's Avatar
clif clif is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gramercy, Louisiana
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennys-lawn View Post
I spoke to my repair shop people today and asked about the up grade. He said the carb swap would work but said you need to change the fly wheel so the timing would be right. Makes since. He said other wise you would be dumping more gas in but the timing would be off. Any thoughts?
I just looked it up on partstree.com, on MY specific model, the FH601V-DS22 (19hp), the flywheel part number is identical to the one on the FH721V-DS22 (25hp) --- flywheel-assy 21193-7019. So no need to change this part if you have this model, search your specific model engine and compare to be sure. That part cost $170, FYI.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:56 AM
clif's Avatar
clif clif is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gramercy, Louisiana
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennys-lawn View Post
I spoke to my repair shop people today and asked about the up grade. He said the carb swap would work but said you need to change the fly wheel so the timing would be right. Makes since. He said other wise you would be dumping more gas in but the timing would be off. Any thoughts?
Of course, the site shows a diagram for the FH721V but not the FH601v for some reason. I did find that the site lists a "switch"#27010-2234 for the FH601v that's not listed for the FH721v, no diagram so don't know what this looks like. The FH721v diagram lists a "plug"#92066-7026 that's not listed with the FH601v parts list. Strange, however, these diagrams also exclude my oil drain tube, which I know I have. I'm not sure what this "plug" contributes to the electrical system, or the timing if at all. Maybe one of these mechanics can explain. Hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with this project!!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
underPSI underPSI is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 234
Quote:
Hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with this project!!!
Don't worry, you're not. The only reason to change the flywheel is to change the crank timing to compensate for the added fuel which will prevent a lean mixture. The carbs are the same and the jets inside the carbs are the same so there isn't going to be any difference in mixture. The only difference is the throttle plate is going to open up a little more than what it does now allowing more air which will cause the carb to deliver more fuel.
In simple terms, by swapping the throttle shaft the engine will now run at 100% throttle whereas now it's only operating at 80%. It's reasons like this is why there is a class-action lawsuit against small engine manufacturers.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM
dennys-lawn's Avatar
dennys-lawn dennys-lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TUPELO, MS
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Don't worry, you're not. The only reason to change the flywheel is to change the crank timing to compensate for the added fuel which will prevent a lean mixture. The carbs are the same and the jets inside the carbs are the same so there isn't going to be any difference in mixture. The only difference is the throttle plate is going to open up a little more than what it does now allowing more air which will cause the carb to deliver more fuel.
In simple terms, by swapping the throttle shaft the engine will now run at 100% throttle whereas now it's only operating at 80%. It's reasons like this is why there is a class-action lawsuit against small engine manufacturers.
So the flywheel would need to be changed also?
__________________
1x -05' 60"X-Mark "Lazer Z xs"
1x -03' 48" Cub Cadet Tank
1x -04' 48" Cub Cadet Tank
1x -21" Snapper Push mower
3x -BR600 Stihl Backpack Blower
1x -BR340 Stihl Backpack Blower
2x -FS85 Stihl Trimmer
1x -FS90 Stihl Trimmer
1x -FS110 Stihl Trimmer Split Shaft
1x -MS250 Stihl Chain Saw
1x -HT101 Stihl Pole Saw
1x -HS45 Stihl Hedge Trimmer
1x -HS81T Stihl Hedge Trimmer
1x -Billy Goat Vac
1x -Turfco Meter Matic F-15 Topp Dresser
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 AM.

Page generated in 0.06940 seconds with 8 queries