Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crook038 View Post
Clif, did you adjust the slow idle, fast idle and governor per the service manual? When you tighten the nut on the governor arm you have to make sure it is good and tight so the governor shaft doesn't slip in the arm. If you adjusted everything per the service manual in the correct order and you are still seeing full throttle, I am at a loss.
Sean
The problem is he shouldn't have had to adjust anything. I checked mine again this morning and my idle is dead on and am receiving WOT when the throttle lever is pushed forward. I'm still having to guess something's not put back correctly but it's such a simple job that it's a hell of a feat not putting something back together correctly.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
The problem is he shouldn't have had to adjust anything. I checked mine again this morning and my idle is dead on and am receiving WOT when the throttle lever is pushed forward. I'm still having to guess something's not put back correctly but it's such a simple job that it's a hell of a feat not putting something back together correctly.
Just a word of precaution, I learned tonight when I did my conversion, I didn't have my butterfly valves seated properly, and they were sticking, I reseated them and now I have some control over the engine speed, still sticking a bit, but I think this may have been the problem, will use it a bit and see what happens, and later tear it down again to see if this is why it doesn't idle down fast. I can force the throttle shaft to idle by hand and it stays idling though.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

could you have installed the butterflies 180 degrees from there original position .they may need to re indexed back in there original position
Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
could you have installed the butterflies 180 degrees from there original position .they may need to re indexed back in there original position
I know they both are facing the correct direction, you can see wear on the side that mounts to the shaft. I see that it is hard to pull the choke lever up unless the throttle lever is pushed forward some. Then if you pull the choke lever up all the way, and pull back down on the throttle lever to idle position, the choke lever and choke shaft gets pulled back some with it. I can't see where anything is touching or rubbing against one another. Now a word of note, before I even knew about this type of engine hp upgrade, I bent the throttle stop tab out of the way so I could get a couple hundred extra rpms on the top speed. I have since bent it back, I hope I didn't damage the control plate. It doesn't seem to be binding anywhere, only the weird issue with the choke being hard to pull unless throttle is pushed forward.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clif View Post
Just a word of precaution, I learned tonight when I did my conversion, I didn't have my butterfly valves seated properly, and they were sticking, I reseated them and now I have some control over the engine speed, still sticking a bit, but I think this may have been the problem, will use it a bit and see what happens, and later tear it down again to see if this is why it doesn't idle down fast. I can force the throttle shaft to idle by hand and it stays idling though.
Glad to know you figured it out. I knew it was something silly.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what i meant was were they spun around 180 degrees not flipped over
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I need to get my model # off my engine and do this. This is exactly what I've been looking for !
Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
what i meant was were they spun around 180 degrees not flipped over
Yeah I thought that was what you meant, how can you tell which way is up? The last time we put it back together, my help put that part in, I didn't think to make sure that it was up or down correct, but it may be upside down, which is probably why it's still sticking some. I would have avoided all this if I would have just completely removed the carburetor the first time instead of just trying to squeeze the part in like I did.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name Taken View Post
I need to get my model # off my engine and do this. This is exactly what I've been looking for !
Yeah, with the internet it's easy to locate the parts you need.... I know they were mentioned in one of the two threads related to this upgrade, but to save you from searching for them again, here are some helpful links:

www.partstree.com
www.m-and-d.com
www.mymowerparts.com
www.heymow.com

Now I just gotta replace that ugly 19hp sticker with a nice 25hp one!!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey clif it seemed when I installed my butterflies back in they felt tight one way and fell into place once I spun them around. btw with the engine off the throttle lever pulls the butterflies all the way open but once the engine is started the gov.pulls them back a bit was wondering was yours doing the same thing or does gov still need adjustment. my idle rpm 1600 and top rpms are 3650 even with the butterflies pulled back .