Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro variable vs personal

Can anybody help me with this question, the Toro VARIABLE SPEED vs the PERSONAL PACE drives of the Recycler mowers, is one better than the other on hilly terrain? I should mention that I would be opting for the rear wheel drive models not the front wheel drive models...is one system more positive than the other? My guess would be that the variable speed 'locks-in' better than the personal pace...any help would be appreciated. Also, what is the fuel capacity of these mowers?? this specification is ignored in any Toro publication...and while I have your time answering questions, what is the big differwence between the 6.75 vs 7.0 torque ratings of the engine offerings? I imagine that there are other differences, that the torque is not the sole purpose of offering different engines, I would also imagine that it would be more cost-effective for Toro to offer one engine across the board. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

You can look up the different engines on the Briggs & Stratton website.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just put the Toro VARIABLE SPEED mower together. Now I have to go get some gas. I'll give a short report later.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well! Got the Toro fueled up. My wife gave it 1 pull, then there was life! She left it in mulching mode and mowed along a side walk I mowed Wednesday with my rider so we could adjust the height. It did ok. The VARIABLE SPEED works by how much or far you squeeze the self propel handle. If you want to go faster, squeeze the self propel handle all the way to the handle bar. If you want to go slower squeeze it less leaving a gap between the self propel handle and the handle bar. That's about it. Looks good. Starts easy. Handles easy, and seems to mow just fine. This mower is not mine. It's for my mother in law. So I hope I'm not putting any time behind the bar. But we'll see how a out of shape, soap box watching 66 year old woman does with it. I'm praying she gets new life and tries to show me up, and mows her whole place. Yea, Right!