Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2002, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thee point hitch on a Skid Steer?

Is there a way to attach equipment built for a three point hitch (standard on tractors) to a skid steer? Is there an adapter that will do this? I'm assuming the equipment does not need a PTO, or does that not matter?

jim
Old 07-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Lawnsite Addict

you can find it here http://www.ffcattachments.com/cdrom/buckets/BK15.htm
Old 07-13-2002, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most implements for a skid steer are hydraulicly (sic) driven. PTO
drive could be a problem.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Paul and Karl for the timely information.

I am primarily interested in the use of non-PTO driven implements. I guess what this tells me is that the most flexible general platform today is a skid steer for landscape installs. Anything a tractor can do a skid steer can do better. And if I want to use a brillion seeder, I can get an adapter for the skid steer. I've been interning this summer mostly on small landscape install jobs. We are biding on the design & landscape install for a 5 acrea site and will rent equipment for this job. This information will be a big help in planning for this job. Thanks guys!!!

jim
Old 07-13-2002, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul hit it with the FFC adapter. I have two and use them on a pulverizer and my Brillion seeder. Can make your skidsteer a one piece lawn installing monster. On normal residentials we show up with the Bobcat, preparator, pulverizer, and Brillion all in one shot. I see now where there's a guy on e-bay offering these with a hydraulic motor for operating the pto's of powered equipment. This is very intrigueing. Hope this helps
Old 07-13-2002, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This helps. Thanks SCL.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

For what it's worth, a home builder I work for bought a landscape rake for his 1840 Case, and when he went to hook it up discovered that he also needed a 3-point hitch adapter to mount it to the machine. He thought he'd gotten a good deal on the rake but if I remember correctly the adapter cost him another $700 at the Case dealer. (But that proves that Case has made provisions to mount 3-point attachments to their skid steers...)
Old 07-13-2002, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one disadvantage I see is that the FFC adapter weighs near 500 lb. This will reduce the weight of the implement and contents that one could lift with the skid steer hydraulics. This should not be a problem for a skid with 3000 lb. lift capacity but could impact the selection of implements if you only have a 2000 lb. lift capacity.

jim
Old 07-14-2002, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WOW! I must be Atlas incarnate. I can lift my FFC adapter by myself. Its just a plate with a couple of hookups. 150 pounds tops. Maybe less. I also have a case adapter that I had to slightly cut on to make work with my Bobcat. Built heavier than the FFC but still well under 200pounds. Price on an FFC is around $300. Also, you can buy the female plate and weld to your own implements if its for skids only. Price on the female plate from Bobcat is <$90. Food for thought
Old 07-14-2002, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where did I get 500 lbs. from? Your right SCL, FFC lists the weight for their adapter at 208 lbs. I guess this is pretty much a non-issue then! Does the adapter have a restriction on the weight of implement and contents that should be of concern? I didn't see anything on the FFC web site that listed restrictions, etc.

jim