Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro variable vs personal

Toro variable vs personal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this under HOMEOWNERS, received 25 views, zero responses yet so thought I'd try the COMMERCIAL side...can anybody help me out with this?
post from HOMEOWNERS section:
Can anybody help me with this question, the Toro VARIABLE SPEED vs the PERSONAL PACE drives of the Recycler mowers, is one better than the other on hilly terrain? I should mention that I would be opting for the rear wheel drive models not the front wheel drive models...is one system more positive than the other? My guess would be that the variable speed 'locks-in' better than the personal pace...any help would be appreciated. Also, what is the fuel capacity of these mowers?? this specification is ignored in any Toro publication...and while I have your time answering questions, what is the big differwence between the 6.75 vs 7.0 torque ratings of the engine offerings? I imagine that there are other differences, that the torque is not the sole purpose of offering different engines, I would also imagine that it would be more cost-effective for Toro to offer one engine across the board. Thanks for your help.
Thank you.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some guys on here like the personal pace slip tranny system. It does fine on flat terrain, but if you have hills or uneven turf, you will have problems. As far as the torque ratings, that is something the engine manufacturers are slowly making the transition to. They will either list torque or cubic inches on the engine as opposed to horsepower, and thats mainly due to the lawsuit. There are conversion calculators online you can use if you want to convert the numbers to HP, but keep in mind it still wont be an accurate raw horsepower number, but should give you an idea.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, ALL TORO 4ME, I was thinking that the variable speed would be better on hills...regarding the torque ratings, I was mainly puzzled as to why there would be two offerings so close to one-another, or just why not the '7' rated engine across the board...I was wondering if one was a better engine all-around with the torque rating difference merely a side-effect. Thanks again for your response to the personal pace question.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been watching this with no answer myself. My wife has been looking at the Toro VARIABLE SPEED for her mother. I think they're close to buying one in the next day are so. I've pounded the web for answers. The most debate I've found has been on the Garden Web, lawn mower section. For the most part they like the more expensive mowers, but seem to get along with the VARIABLE SPEED. The 2 most complaints have been the height adjusters being flimsy. And the fact that the drive hubs and gears are plastic and pot metal. No problems with ether engines. Seems Toro has a 3 year warranty.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, MS SURVEYOR, I guess we have to accept the fact that things are made cheaply now. I suppose the cheap hub parts can serve as sacrificial parts in that they will wear instead of the deck itself (as mower decks used to do when the wheels were steel and bolted on with steel shoulder bolts with nothing to wear except the (relatively speaking) flimsy deck). As long as the hub drive parts aren't priced through the roof I suppose they should be easily accessed and able to be user-replaced.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
Thanks, ALL TORO 4ME, I was thinking that the variable speed would be better on hills...regarding the torque ratings, I was mainly puzzled as to why there would be two offerings so close to one-another, or just why not the '7' rated engine across the board...I was wondering if one was a better engine all-around with the torque rating difference merely a side-effect. Thanks again for your response to the personal pace question.
It's not really 2 different engines they're using. Likely it is the same engine. There are many ways you can obtain more torque from an engine from modifying the ECU/fuel-mapping to modifying the intake and exhaust systems.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well! Got the Toro fueled up. My wife gave it 1 pull, then there was life! She left it in mulching mode and mowed along a side walk I mowed Wednesday with my rider so we could adjust the height. It did ok. The VARIABLE SPEED works by how much or far you squeeze the self propel handle. If you want to go faster, squeeze the self propel handle all the way to the handle bar. If you want to go slower squeeze it less leaving a gap between the self propel handle and the handle bar. That's about it. Looks good. Starts easy. Handles easy, and seems to mow just fine. This mower is not mine. It's for my mother in law. So I hope I'm not putting any time behind the bar. But we'll see how a out of shape, soap box watching 66 year old woman does with it. I'm praying she gets new life and tries to show me up, and mows her whole place. Yea, Right!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to say that I have owned both variable and PP.
I bought the Variable back in 1995 and used thru 2004.Then finally it gave out,was forced to buy the PP (personal pace) in 2004.Never liked it from day one,but they no longer offered the variable speed.My shoulders and back have suffered for 8 years now until they again re-introduced the Toro 20380 this year in 2012,OH what a relief it is !! Take my word ,the PP will wear yourself out pushing and pulling back and forth on the cheesy plastic handle,that must be greased every month or will really strain your back.
Talked with a Toro rep and asked why they brought back the Toro Variable Speed and his comments wer," Customers we had in the past that had the variable speed technology were moving to other competive mowers and we are trying to win them back "
Take my advice,The new Toro 20380 Aluminum Deck Variable Speed mower will save your back and arms ,and not only that,much lighter and less issues because of the simple clutch system ..
Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to say that I have owned both variable and PP.
I bought the Variable back in 1995 and used thru 2004.Then finally it gave out,was forced to buy the PP (personal pace) in 2004.Never liked it from day one,but they no longer offered the variable speed.My shoulders and back have suffered for 8 years now until they again re-introduced the Toro 20380 this year in 2012,OH what a relief it is !! Take my word ,the PP will wear yourself out pushing and pulling back and forth on the cheesy plastic handle,that must be greased every month or will really strain your back.
Talked with a Toro rep and asked why they brought back the Toro Variable Speed and his comments wer," Customers we had in the past that had the variable speed technology were moving to other competitave mowers and we are trying to win them back "
Take my advice,The new Toro 20380 Aluminum Deck Variable Speed mower will save your back and arms ,and not only that,much lighter and less issues because of the simple clutch system ..
never had to turn a wrench on the variable speed,yet to baby the PP for 8 years, And remember,if you buy any new mower,please use Opti-4 oil from day one and stabil in fuel,will never have an engine issue.If you use Opti-4 oil they will warranty any gas engine double factory warranty,go to their website and also see how many of your local dealers swear by it and sell it,
I am a small engine mechanic and have seen the cylinder walls with Opti-4 vs. regular oil .. Amazing difference .. Do not use synthetic in air cooled engines,they run too hot 350 degrees F.,but great in water cooled engines that run under 200 degrees F. Just FYI
Old 08-05-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Having used both, I hate the personal pace. I actually like the standard FWD Self propelled toro's myself.