Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i can only hope toro is getting away from personal pace. its awefull
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Having only used the Personal Pace SR4 Super Recycler, I can only say that I love it.

What does "variable speed" mean exactly anyway? I don't mind sounding dumb - I really don't understand what that means in regards to that Toro 20380. It's "self propelled", but how does the speed "vary"? I don't see any "controls".

Also, that Toro 20380 has the Chinese engine. Yay.

ETA:
Nevermind. I saw the following in the TWO year old post above...
Quote:
The VARIABLE SPEED works by how much or far you squeeze the self propel handle. If you want to go faster, squeeze the self propel handle all the way to the handle bar. If you want to go slower squeeze it less leaving a gap between the self propel handle and the handle bar.
Meh. Personal Pace sounds easier to operate.
I've never felt "tired" or "sore" from using mine.
Maybe you're doing it wrong.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm literally converting my 2011 SR4 from personal pace to variable. Got a decent deal on the 2011 two weeks ago with the 7.0 Briggs. Love the mower but the personal pace on hills is terrible when you need to turn around, it also doesn't work that great when trimming around my continuous curbing.

Needed to order the brake and drive levers and cables, should get the rest of the parts next week. I just ordered them off the 2012 20380 SR4 model. I originally thought I'd just need the levers but the cables are different as well. The cost will be more than I anticipated but it was still worth it as I got the bag and Briggs vs. no bag and a chonda.

I'd suggest you find a donor mower off craigslist if you want to convert as new parts will be about $70 or so.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

actually the speed dosnt vary. its a sales sham. these mowers are really just one speed. same goes for personal pace -you dont notice as much cause you are pushing to help the mower along as the belt slips. NONE of the single speed mowers are vari speed. its just slipping the drive belt
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
actually the speed dosnt vary. its a sales sham. these mowers are really just one speed. same goes for personal pace -you dont notice as much cause you are pushing to help the mower along as the belt slips. NONE of the single speed mowers are vari speed. its just slipping the drive belt
This is true, I noticed that on the single speed late model 20" Lawnboy I borrowed from a friend, to vary it I'd just not pull the lever all the way. Looking at my SR4 today when i took off the drive cable, i noticed that it just pulls on the trans making the belt tighter.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

All I can say is glad Toro brought back the variable speed mower, yes they both use same slip belt drive, however so much less energy consumed with variable vs Personal Pace .I actually enjoy cutting grass again, now that the comfort is back and not the constant pushing and pulling back and forth like a mad man, when now all you have to do is squeeze to go
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbass78 View Post
I'm literally converting my 2011 SR4 from personal pace to variable. Got a decent deal on the 2011 two weeks ago with the 7.0 Briggs. Love the mower but the personal pace on hills is terrible when you need to turn around, it also doesn't work that great when trimming around my continuous curbing.

Needed to order the brake and drive levers and cables, should get the rest of the parts next week. I just ordered them off the 2012 20380 SR4 model. I originally thought I'd just need the levers but the cables are different as well. The cost will be more than I anticipated but it was still worth it as I got the bag and Briggs vs. no bag and a chonda.

I'd suggest you find a donor mower off craigslist if you want to convert as new parts will be about $70 or so.
sounds like what i did. switched out a sr4 mower over the winter to bail drive, model from 2007, working fine, single speed but the drive is solid.