I owe it all to Google page 1 2 13.33%
I have grown well with the help of Google page 1 8 53.33%
I have been on page 1 but got very little new work 1 6.67%
What the crap is page 1 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 AM
Sponsor

Does Page One of Google Matter?

So there is the question does page one of google Matter.

How does it help your business?

How much of your Business growth do you give credit to being on page one of Google?
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think showing up in search engines can be a big help to growing a business. Can you give us some free tips?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Sponsor

How is your site built?

If you have built your own site you may or may not have built in a sitemap. Google reads a sitemap.xml and yahoo likes a sitmap.txt all of you should have both in your page listing. Once you have the sitemap I would register them with the http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools after you register the url by attaching a bit of code in the header section of the html code you can add the sitemap directly to google. This will be the best way for Google to know you are there.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use myself as a my "research group" regauding this. I very very rarely go past the 1st page on google, or any search engine! If what I am ooking for doesnt come up I re seach using new keywords. Being on 1st page, and in top 5 is very importent
Old 05-29-2010, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For me, I get so much traffic from Google, or Bing, or Yahoo, that I've got leftovers to send to other companies. I don't even do lawns or sell barkdust, but am able to send referrals to outfits like Lewis Landscape for lawn mowing, or to S & H Logging for bark blowing.

Google is important if you know what you are doing and have a head start in the game. And if you even care. For example, Collier Arbor Care in Portland has a website that does so-so and they tweak it, but they sure don't need Google at all. That's a well established company that could get all the work they need without a website.

Then take Lewis Landscape. I think that he does most of his own website management himself. And his rankings clean the clocks of most landscape companies hiring professional SEO folks.

My site isn't that old, but old enough to help. And with 1800 pageviews per day, I'll take my cut of the pie for sure.

But you have to watch for those SEO marketing people out there trying to sell you an old "gold mine" so to speak, that's already been mined-clean of all the useful resources.

READ:

Websites Compared to the Gold Rush Days

The top rankings on the internet are a limited resource. And although page one won't run dry of its existence, the mind-set of racing for internet rankings is very much like the mind-set of the old gold rush days. Many seeking to get rich, and a lot of schemes. But only a few folks got wealthy from it.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 05-29-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Piece of advice:

1. If you cheat your way to the top of Google, your site will attract the wrong kind of customers,
and maybe it's kind of funny how that works out but I can almost guarantee it.

2. Sorry to be this way but if I see it, I will report you and you could get banned.
Granted I don't normally catch those things unless it interferes with something I'm doing,
but there exist other folks who don't play as well.

3. You might think where did I come up with this or where do I get off, and maybe I'm off the rocker fine
but I thought I would mention it as fair warning please do NOT spam the engines.

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't build your web site to the best of your ability,
and if you hire folks to do it fine but be careful there!

Last edited by topsites; 05-29-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Spam is bad lotsa new stuff Google good

Logged in under my Lawn Company today.
I own DFW-InternetMarketing.com

Our method is simple
we take tons of video.
We share that video with tons of sites
We write tons of articles
We share articles with tons of sites
We make tons of Podcast
We share that with tons of Podcast sites
We post all that content to all the social bookmarking site
We share all those locations on all the social networks
We blog about it.

That is a ton of work and a ton of fresh new awesome content. Google and other search engines reward for fresh content. Not spam. It is no different than buying airtime on the radio or TV. You buy one spot or or showing of your commercial and you will get very few calls. If you are all over page one a nd page 2 cosistently it is known as branding

The good news is all 10 page one results are always up for grabs. Being on page one today guarantees nothing for tomorrow. The first person to dial in the formula to kick that spot down the page wins.

Great SEO guys can get you on page one most of the time within a few months if you pay them well. Just because everyone has a website certainly does not mean that they are smart in positioning themselves on page one with roots.

I have system of using video, podcasting articles and blog posting that can get you calls even if you don't have a website.
So you have a commercial on every channel (every local keyword) and it plays all day long (front page of Google multiple times with different video podcasts and articles) people will pick up the phone simply because they will trust that you can handle the job. After all you have tons of coverage on the web. Think about if you were watching TV and there was this same plumber on every channel and on every show you were watching. You would think dang this company must be huge.

With TV it would be slightly annoying seeing the same commercial all the time. The difference with the web is it doesn't show up unless somebody is looking for a "plumber in kansas city". Then POW the magic hits the fan and your brand has 5 of the 10 results. Who gets the call? Most likely you will if you have a product that is priced at the local market value.

Whole buncha crud

Last edited by lawn_jockey; 05-29-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In short, what you wrote says that you are incrementally building your website traffic.

Over time, with content, and time invested.

It surprising how many people expect some way around that. Its not even easy for money to buy a ticket around that work these days.

Great SEO guys are only so good. I saw good SEO people get some landscapers moved up. And then individuals like Jim Lewis sledge-hammered them right back down again.

But if I was going to hire someone, certainly its worth going with the better skilled person.

The key is to avoid paying someone $3000 for website work, only to have them or someone else who paid $4000 totally neutralize the first person's $3000 investment.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890

Last edited by mdvaden; 05-29-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Excellent and crucial information here. Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Page 1 is crucial. Page 2 is acceptable. Page 3 gives low return. Anything other than that, you wont get many visits at all.

Tags
google , google adwords , internet marketing , new customers , website