Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

What Truck and Trailer to start with?

I am just starting out. Was wondering what kind of truck would be good to start with?

I will be plowing snow also. I was thinking a f-250 or f-350.

Also, would an enclosed trailer be better to start with or and open trailer?

Obviously enclosed is better, but I am taking in note the cost.

What are some thoughts here?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the 250 or equvilent in another make. Enclosed is not always better. During the summer it can get over 100 degrees in the trailer, it cant really air out like and open, you cant load it from the top so no mulch or anything. I would go with an open and store it under a carport or in a garage. Later on when you can buy an enclosed

Old 05-23-2010, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I would buy what you can afford to buy w/o a loan. Debt before income is something that you should avoid. An open trailer is better to start with in that it is much more versatile.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

id definitely go with an open trailer, i was going to get a enclosed but then i realized that you have to either fill up a buttload of gas cans to gas up your equipment or take the equipment out at the gas station, and i park my open trailer in the garage anyway so i don't have a need for an enclosed trailer and i have a f250 all i can say is perfect

1989 Ford F250 XLT Lariat 4x4 351ci
6x12 Single Axel Open Trailer
Cub Cadet G1548 48" Walk-behind
Bagging System
JRCO Dethatcher
JRCO Leaf Plow
Billy Goat TR800 Leaf Loader
Honda 21" Push Mower
2 Husqvarna 128LD String Trimmers
2 Husqvarna 150BT Backpack Blowers
Husqvarna Hedge Trimmer
Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chain Saw
Echo SRM-225 String Trimmer
Echo PE-225 Edger
Poulan Pro PP3516AVX Chainsaw
1969 Wheel Horse Raider 10
Old 05-23-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.Landscaping View Post
id definitely go with an open trailer, i was going to get a enclosed but then i realized that you have to either fill up a buttload of gas cans to gas up your equipment or take the equipment out at the gas station, and i park my open trailer in the garage anyway so i don't have a need for an enclosed trailer and i have a f250 all i can say is perfect
It's illeagle no matter what trailer you have, but I have a door on mine so I can get the nozzle into my mower.

If your not in the best area, get an enclosed! Unless you want our stuff stolen, so what if youcant load Mulch into it! You can put 6 yards in an f250! (with boards)

As for getting hot inside, so what it's not like you're living in it.
And in the winter months, the trailer makes good storage. And if you get caught in the rain, you can go rot in your traiker where you can stand sit or lay down while ou wait it out (I mow in rain, hail, thunderstorms) so this dosent apply to me. Also if it's raining while you're driving, your stuff is protected.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. 3/4 ton truck will be plenty suitable for plowing and trailering needs. I thought about getting an enclosed trailer (6x12) this year.

I operate part time and own a 4x8 2'high sided utility that's been through everything. It has removable sides so I can get mulch when I need to, take a load to the dump or carry the lawn equipment, etc. An enclosed costs at least double the price (when comparing new models) than an open trailer and you lose a lot of versatility. An enclosed however offers better security and keeps equipment out of the weather - and it's a place to hang out during heavy rain moments besides sitting in the cab.

Most of my equipment is used, and I've owned the majority of it since new. Depending on what I plan to use my trailer for that day I'll keep my equipment locked in a vented shed.

Open trailer 6x12 $1200 CDN
Vented wooden Shed with siging 10x10 $750 CDN (I build it myself and save labour)

New 6x12 enclosed trailer $4000 CDN + 13% sales tax.

So, I already own my current trailer so a new shed was a no-brainer. I might get a larger size one of these days.....
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I guess enclosed isnt all that. Still, I think enclosed may be good for me. For security. Plus, it makes a nice marketing tool.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I am also starting out and will be purchasing an enclosed. I have a 7 x 12 open so I will have that if/when needed, but I think the enclosed provides security as mentioned before, marketing, looks professional, and keeps your equipment out of the elements as much as possible.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you are just starting out then get you a good half ton truck. The newer ones have great towing capacities. For a trailer the perfect starter trailer is a 12' tandem with 4' expanded metal sides imo. You can use it for mowing, mulch, landscaping, tree's, debris, etc. With the 4' sides you have good protection and can put some nice aluminum signs on it.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Snapper.....would a f-150 be enough for plowing snow?