Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass Type...

There are quite a few guides with pictures that show grass types. Unfortunately, I (apparently) don't have the eye to correlate my grass to the various types pictured online. That said, I am simply looking for some assistance in identifying the grass I have.

I know I have different types of grass, as I have a couple of patches in the yard. Here are a couple of pictures:

The first image is the grass that covers 90% of my yard, while picture (2) covers about 8%, and weeds make up the other 2%

There are a couple of places that haven't done well over the past 2 years that I have owned the home, and I am looking to put down some grass seed - I am trying to identify the grass type, so I purchase the same type of seed. Thanks in advance for your support.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

First, St Augustine, then centipede, I'm assuming
Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response. I was guessing it was St. Augustine, but I didnt want to put down a different seed and start growing another type of grass. Unfortunately, I have stopped by my local Home Depot and they dont carry ANY St. Augustine seed, and Lowes only carries something like a 15lb bag. I have 1 SMALL patch and one area that is roughly 10'x20' that needs to be seeded. I guess I may have to bite the bullet and keep 14lbs of seed :-\
Old 05-21-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

they both look like centipede to me. the first one is not course enough for St. A. ---- but i may be wrong. it is pretty tough to establish centipede from seed. you might want to buy some sod and cut it into plugs. it will spread fairly quickly, but be careful not to over-fertilize. centipede doesn't like much fertilizer.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmurph View Post
they both look like centipede to me. the first one is not course enough for St. A. ---- but i may be wrong. it is pretty tough to establish centipede from seed. you might want to buy some sod and cut it into plugs. it will spread fairly quickly, but be careful not to over-fertilize. centipede doesn't like much fertilizer.
Are you referring to "coarse" as thickness of the grass? If so, thats very likely the case, and probably due to the lack of fertilizer in the past 2 years - which was done only 1x during each of those years. This year, I have planned to feed/fertilize more often... closer to 1x per quarter.

Also note, that I have only been watering my yard 3x a week, 15 minutes/zone.

I do think they are 2 different types of grass, as those 2 pictures are taken literally about 2-3ft from each other. The grass in the second picture has a patch that is about 3'x3' in the center of my back yard, and the grass that is in the first picture takes up the rest of the yard. Standing in the yard looking at it, they look completely different from each other.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

then you have centipede.