Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

36" Belt Drive Mower-Blown Engine

I found a mower on craigslist that looks like it's in good condition, It's a 36" Belt drive Scag walk behind, a 1996 model I believe. The mower has a 'hole' in the engine (anybody know how?)

Do you think it would be worth it to buy the mower and replace the engine for a total of $800 (I might be able to talk down the sellers to a little lower)? The real selling point for me currently is the grass catcher and sulky that comes with the mower. I've been looking for an accelerator for my 52" scag, and if this turns out to be an accelerator, this just might be a good deal.

A Honda HRX 21" is about the same price, but a comercial 21" is a few hundred more, and I really don't want to spend over $300-$400 for a push mower.

The only concern to me is that the 36" is a belt driven mower, but is it going to make that much of a difference for using it for a touch-up and a backyard/gate mower a few times a week?

The Ads

The Mower: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1757349076.html

The Engine: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1746885420.html
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The mower is okay but a used engine that just had a head gasket put on it...I don't know. Unless you can do a leak test on the engine I wouldn't get it.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about the 'belt drive' too much. My SW36 still going strong on year 4 since buying used. Just not quite as easy to use as hydro. as a part-time mower you can't beat it. With the catcher and sulky that is a real plus. Old style deck is less desirable than advantage deck..But mine leaves good looking cut. Hole in side indicates Rod let loose. motor is junk..but save carb and muffler and few other things if replacing with same motor. Even keep re-wind. Easyier to change whole re-wind than spring if breaks. If those still decent looking. I assume it is the Kawi FV460V. good engine.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

dude even with a new engine youll have 1200 in it and have a floating deck scag with a bagger and velke and all that. thats a hell of a deal
Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto Butler..you got a good deal there. Scag is built to last too. ( guess you know- you got one) I'd try to get for $700..but if won't budge- I'd still buy.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you can get the mower with all of the attachments for no more than $100 I'd say depending on your mechanical aptitude it's a maybe at best.
A good point to remember, especially with commercial equipment, is unless the motor failed for a simple reason (I once had a 25hp Kawi fry the main bearings when the dipstick vibrated out - turns out to be a defect Kawi knew about) a commercial mower with a blown engine usually equals other problems with maintenance.
Which means there very well maybe much more wrong with the chassis than a blown motor. Off the top of my head I'd say that peerless tranny would be weak, particularly if the operator was shifting on the move, the brakes maybe shot, the clutch worn, belts in poor shape, etc - get my point?
By the time you replace the tranny, brakes, a clutch, the belts in addition to a replacement motor you'll have a hellofalot more than $1,200.00 making this "deal" operate properly.
A used Kawi single lung will run around $600, a tranny about $200, brakes at least $80 a side as the pulleys are usually shot after lugging around a velkie, an electric clutch is at least $250 and that's with you saving the pulley (which on a '96 is doubtful), drive and deck belt is another $150 all while not knowing if the blade spindle assemblies are any good - if they aren't and a rebuild is possible you are still looking at another $25 each.
So now your "good deal" has cost you around $1,460.00 and it hasn't cut one blade of grass yet.
Additionally, this presumes you can do all of the mechanical work yourself which you haven't figured in labor costs. My internal cost for equipment repair is valued at $70/hour so figure another 6 hours if you have air tools.
So know you have added another $420.00 to the $1,460.00 "good deal" meaning you are up around $1,900.00.
Get my point so far?
So, if you can get the machine for $100 AND the bearings/tires/velkie are in relatively decent shape, AND you want to spend a couple of nights wrenching on the machine, it's a poor maybe at best.
Or you can do what I did - buy a used hydro 36" with a velkie for $1,500 that runs but I still had to rebuild the carb, re-belt the machine and replace a few "O" rings which brought my true cost to around $1,700.00 - for a used hydro 36".
I cannot emphasize enough to exercise extreme caution when viewing "good deals" - if it was such a good deal why didn't the owner repair it and sell at a profit???
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do agree tx..on that it can add up if everything is wore out..I am going on that assuming that He has the ability to check the wear and tear on it..other than replacing motor. If he doesn't- then yes..could be very expensive- esspecually if you have to hire the labor out. Blown motor doesn't mean rest is wore out. But He does need to go over it as you would any 'used' machine. look for wobble in pulley shafts, slop in trans,ect..It is a good deal if all checks out. but Like you said..It could be wore out too. Scag does build HD stuff thou so it was built to last..how ever long that is depends lot on owner neglect,ect. My ScagSW is a early one (mid 80's) and it has been very faithful. But it was not beat to death either. I have been pulling a Velkie from Day 1. But..It isn't a daily user either. Common sense and a good eye for wear with some mechanical ability would be nessesary in buying a 'used' machine. Esppecually commercial unit as it is subject to many hours with many differant operators. All-in-all thou..It is a good deal if it isn't worked to death.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Brand new kawi vtwin 15hp is under $700 check around online bro
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Also if you dont get it and want to buy mine its on ebay my username is nbutler93 i dont have a link to the auction on my phone lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks so much guys, if I do decide to take a look I'll make sure to check as much as I can for wear.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)

Tags
36" , 36" mower , belt drive , scag 36" , walk behind